PDA

View Full Version : 3 quick questions about Postgress

iDonk
11-14-2008, 05:54 AM
I'm a complete newb when it comes to databases. So some quick questions:
-I have a PT3 database I want to get rid of, as it's using up space and I don't intend on ever using PT3 again. How do I do that?
-How should I go about 'housekeeping' the database, i.e. vacuum, cluster, analyse and such? How do I do it and how often?
-Does the standard install leave a port open to the outside? If so, how do I fix it?

Al1
11-14-2008, 10:54 AM
-I have a PT3 database I want to get rid of, as it's using up space and I don't intend on ever using PT3 again. How do I do that?
-How should I go about 'housekeeping' the database, i.e. vacuum, cluster, analyse and such? How do I do it and how often?
-Does the standard install leave a port open to the outside? If so, how do I fix it?

1)
Start Menu
Find the PostgreSQL 8.3 group
Start "pgAdmin III"
Double click "PostgreSQL Database..." under Server (1)
Insert your password for the database, generally something like "postgrespass", you have set it when installing postgreSQL
Databases
Now you can see your PT3 database
Right Click and select "Delete/Drop"

2)
You can do that directly from HM, "Options => Vacuum Analyse Database"
But I like to do it manually
Go to the same place that in point 1)
But right click the HM database and do that:
http://208.109.95.123/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=163

3) Don't know, I will ask Morny about that

iDonk
11-14-2008, 03:11 PM
merci beaucoup :)

Al1
11-14-2008, 03:13 PM
merci beaucoup :)

De rien.

Rvg72
11-14-2008, 08:27 PM

Hi, it opens port 5432 locally but the default installation does not allow any connection from external pc's to the port so you should not have anything to worry about. Additionally, even if it was open, you would also need to open that port in your firewall

Roy