PDA

View Full Version : postgresql over AT&T DSL serious lag problems

kline99
01-27-2011, 12:47 AM
i have postgresql server at my office to store HEM data. I connect via broadband from home and the road. Connecting via comcast cable modem works and hud updates instantly after each hand. Even using my Verizon air card works perfectly and HUD updates instantly. However, one location where I play has AT&T dsl at 6Mb and HUD will not update and hands are not recorded for several minutes. Latency to my work server is under 100ms on both WAN connections at the router. Also, 0% dropped packets in ping test. The updates to the postgresql server are very erratic and eventually seem to stop altogether. Its impossible to use HEM over this DSL connection, so I resort to using the air card. I am going to try a VPN tunnel to see if the ISP is jacking with port 5432. If anyone has some advise on how to diagnose this issue, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Patvs
01-27-2011, 07:40 AM
Any firewall messing with port 5432?
Make sure no programs (anti virus)/anti spyware are monitoring the PostgreSQL folder.

If that fails, move the database to that computer, and use the local database instead.

kline99
01-27-2011, 11:37 AM
thanks, but i think i have eliminated those things and narrowed it down to being a networking issue with this specific ISP, as the remote postgresql functions are perfect and instantaneous when using my Versizon air card or the comcast cable broadband at my other house. only when using AT&T DSL do I see this bizarre lag and choking. I will report back when I setup the VPN to see if there is some type of traffic throttling going on with AT&T.