PDA

View Full Version : Moved PostgreSQL from C to D

jungle266
01-22-2011, 06:59 PM
Posted the original msg (below) before reading the FAQ...sorry...wasn't being proactive! Followed the FAQ's instructions but still having problems. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Cliff

Hi,

To free up space on my C drive I have moved PostgreSQL to my D drive. What should I now do in HM to make sure that it knows I have moved PostgreSQL?

Thanks for your help,
Cliff

jungle266
01-22-2011, 07:44 PM
Just saw the FAQ for this...I'll try it out and re-post if I have probs.

jungle266
01-23-2011, 07:35 AM
I have followed all the steps in the FAQ to move PostgreSQL from my C to D drive. However, I think I screwed up a step:

I accidentally changed the Data Directory at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL\Services\pg sql-8.3 to the path to my new database...I did this in error as I was editing the imagepath...I was just clicking through the steps too fast and not paying attention. I have changed the path to "C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.3\bin\pg_ctl.exe"...is this what it would have been before?

The above error aside, I have followed all the other steps in the FAQ. One note, I updated the ImagePath to reflect the new location of PostgreSQL but the 'data' column still shows the old path "C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.3\bin\pg_ctl.exe".

And, at the end of the day, the move has not worked HM can not connect to the database.

Please help...Thanks,

Cliff

jungle266
01-23-2011, 07:38 AM
One other note. When I tried to set up permissions, right-clicking on properties did not give any options to modify security settings. The only options I was given were 'General', 'Sharing', and 'Customize'.

jungle266
01-23-2011, 07:41 AM
When I try to re-start PostgreSQL from the services window I get the following error:

'Could not start the PostgreSQL Database Server 8.3 service on Local Computer

Error 3: The System cannot findthe path specified.'

netsrak
01-23-2011, 09:37 AM
Something in your configuration is wrong, you should setup everything back to default.
Then please create a database backup, uninstall postgresql, download and install Postgresql 8.4 from PostgreSQL: The world's most advanced open source database (http://www.postgresql.org) and install it to D:.
Create a new empty database under pgadmin and restore the backup

jungle266
01-23-2011, 09:40 AM
How do I reset everything to default?

netsrak
01-23-2011, 09:46 AM
Move the folders back and restore the original registry settings or restore the backups

jungle266
01-23-2011, 09:52 AM
Would it be easier or just as effective to un-install postgreSQL completely, re-install and request HH from FTP? I don't know what would be best, just thinking of other ideas.

netsrak
01-23-2011, 10:00 AM
There is no need to request hands from FTP. You should find them in the archive folder (default c:\hmarchive).

If its no problem uninstall postgresql completely, delete the folders and reinstall it on D:.
After completion you can import the hands again.

jungle266
01-24-2011, 09:25 AM
I know that some of my questions must make your eyes roll...but I'm not much of a computer guy...here's my latest newbie computer question:

How do I know if I need the 32 or 64 bit version?

netsrak
01-24-2011, 01:20 PM
This is only relevant for Postgresql 9.0. Please use 8.4 - there is only one version. :)

jungle266
01-24-2011, 09:25 PM
Neither of the passwords, dbpass nor postgrespass work.

jungle266
01-24-2011, 09:36 PM
This is going from bad to worse. Now when I turn on my computer it lists postgres as an account holder on my computer next to myself, 'owner'. Further, I can not delete the original postgres 8.3 program from my C drive either by right click and delete or by using the add/remove programs function. On top of these problems, when I download 8.4 it asks me for a password (as mentioned in the previous post) that I don't have as neither of the standard passwords work...and I don't think I used a different one during the last install.

I am at a loss as to what to do here. Is there any chance I can get some live help?

Patvs
01-25-2011, 10:29 AM
click on Start and go to Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt

* If you are on Vista, rightclick and choose "Run as Administrator".

A black box should appear. Type 'net user postgres /del' (without the quotes) and press enter.

The user is now deleted and you can (re)install PostgreSQL.

jungle266
01-25-2011, 07:11 PM
Ok. I did that. But I still get the password error. Neither 'postgrespass' nor 'dbpass' work.

Sorry...it did work...I'm through the password prob...thanks!

jungle266
01-25-2011, 10:38 PM
Ok...looks like everything is good with respect to postgresql...

...but now my HUD is going nuts...flickering all over the place. I'll put this into another post.

Thanks a lot for your patient help!