PDA

View Full Version : Losing settings when updating TN2

CyberSam
06-11-2013, 04:18 PM
Hi,

one more to the endless list of BUGS in TN2:

(I'm running both the .exe and TN2 Setup(s) as "administrator" on Vista)

Every time I update TN2 to the latest version (steady or beta, doesn't matter),
I lose ALL my settings and I can't even restore the settings I've saved with earlier version,
because the "restore"-button does nothing.

This happens, because the installation *resets* the configuration files in folder
C:\Users\administrator\AppData\Roaming\Tableninja. v2\
and "Restore Settings" doesn't work due to TN2 not recognizing the saved backups.

Sarek
06-12-2013, 04:00 PM
Which antivirus do you have? and firewall

CyberSam
06-12-2013, 06:11 PM
"WTH" does AntiVirus or Firewall(??) have to do with TN2 not being able to
restore the settings from its own backups, after successfully updating itself?

First, TN2 works just fine (if you can say that, with all its bugs and all).
Then, I either click "Update Now" or let TN2 use its auto-update feature at start.
Next, TN2 downloads the updates and starts the installation - OK.
Great. Now I have the latest version of TN2.

But.
My settings are gone and "Restore Settings" doesn't work.
It doesn't recognize I've taken backups with earlier version.
Eventhough they're located in its own TN2 folder.
I can, however, take NEW backups - and it recognizes them.
But still not the earlier ones that have my actual settings. LOL.

Lucky enough,
I can restore the settings myself by copying the backup files manually,
from the TN2 folder to mentioned folder under userprofile (see the path above).

Note: I also keep extra backup of my settings out of TN2 folders,
in case TN2 decides to remove its backup files as well..

Sarek
06-13-2013, 03:58 AM
Antivirus can not allow access to edit\replace files in that folder.
Also this can happen if UAC is not OFF.

CyberSam
06-13-2013, 01:16 PM
I told I'm running both setup files and TN2 as administrator. So never mind the UAC.
And Antivirus only blocks access to files that it considers defected -
which case it notifies the user about blocking actions. No AntiVirus that I know of,
is removing files or moving them into Quarantine without notifications, by default.
So I would know if any of the files got blocked during the installations.

Sarek
06-14-2013, 03:59 AM
1) I can tell you about antivirus who really blocks access to HM2 files - as example. And this can be cured only by total uninstalling of that antivirus. His name = Avast.
Try to disable yours. And what is his name. btw?
2) At the top of this forum section you cean see sticked thread "Troubleshooting" - it contains BOTH recommendations: run as admin PLUS disable UAC.
Please try.

CyberSam
06-17-2013, 06:53 PM
FYI:
I just run version 2.1.39.0 and it kept my settings after installation.

Sarek
06-18-2013, 03:05 AM
Thank you for informing. But this is strange: as developer said, in build 39 he only added some additional logging + a feature for make support's life easier (ability to run TN with other settings taken directly from ZIPs customers send).

CyberSam
06-19-2013, 02:32 PM
Hi,

My previous version was, if I remember, 2.1.34 - maybe something was done after that?

Plus, I changed two UAC settings from local policies, just in case:

"Behaviour of the elevation prompt for standard users", set to "Prompt for credentials".
"Behaviour of the elevation prompt for administrators in Admin Approval Mode", set to "Elevate without prompting".

Neither one should have NO effect to anything:

First one is obvious and it's the default behaviour of UAC in standard user mode; I just made sure it's set.

Latter setting should only affect to UAC behaviour on administrator accounts after logged in as one,
not when running programs from standard user "as administrator". I've already turned it back in its default setting,
which is "Prompt for consent" - I'm now waiting for the next update on TN2 to confirm it has no effect; I'll let you know.

Sarek
06-20-2013, 01:41 PM
Ok, thank you for details, I saved your text in safe place for future use.

Have a guess: your windows user name = Administrator
can this be a cause? Microsoft suggests to not do such things.

CyberSam
06-20-2013, 05:51 PM
Hey.. been an "ICT guy" for like 15 years ;)

"Administrator" is certainly not my user name - or the administrator account in my home computers,
because I always rename it to something else after initial installation. I use separate user account(s)
without administrator priviledges and run programs "as administrator" when needed; that way I don't get
bothered with UAC. But that doesn't mean the account I use to run programs "as administrator",
is actually called "administrator" - it just refers to default administrator account, no matter what it's called.
Eventhough it's called "administrator" by default.

Plus, I'm pretty sure you can't even take the "admininistrator" as user name, unless you first rename
the builtin administrator account "administrator" to something else. If even then, I doubt.

Sarek
06-21-2013, 03:25 AM
Ninja do not cares about windows user name, it will eat any.
But Windows itself... not sure
but this is "up to you" :)

another thing is UAC: to meke TN2 work correctly, UAC should be OFF
and something else. Full list is:
- do all described in first post here http://forums.holdemmanager.com/table-ninja-2/412141-tn2-troubleshooting-faq.html
- set to "run as admin" for TN2 and all poker clients
- set UAC = off in Windows
- Poker client lobby must be in English
- disable Options -> Advanced Multi-Table Options" -> Highlight Bet Amount" in PokerStars client
- disable "Options" -> "Advanced Multitable Options..." and disable "New tournaments take focus" in PokerStars client
- for FT: disable Table options -> Gameplay settings -> Display active table on action
- for PS: disable Advanced multitable - > "Popup table whenever user action is required"
- FT: Custom Bet Buttons need to be reset to their defaults
- If you use TN2 layouts (any except "None") you should NOT use\apply pokerclient layout feature
- for FT: table should be enough big to display all 3 tabs above bet box (min-pot-max)
- for PS: disable Autoclose tourney without notification (this is mostly not for TN, but for HM - to make sure summary is writen in file and autoimported)

CyberSam
06-23-2013, 11:44 AM
UAC itself does not cause problems, bad coding and ie. incorrect use of write paths/registry does -
by requesting UAC to be turned off, you're basically telling that your program doesn't work properly.
Thanks for being honest though *cough* :cool:

Actually.. could you check your tickets and tell me how many problems is there,
caused by UAC when TN2 is run from administrator account or "as administrator"?
None perhaps? And yet, you're telling everyone to turn UAC off "just in case".

You did this same thing with TN1 - it worked just fine with UAC as well,
eventhough there were some bad coding in write paths as well; I had to give
write access across the accounts for certain folders to make it work properly
"as admininistrator" from user account. Hopefully your coders have learnt something
from those days - I run into some similar looking problems with earlier versions,
but the latest versions seem to be working OK now *fingers crossed*.
I don't like tweaking anything in OS, just because of badly written programs.

Sarek
06-23-2013, 01:21 PM
I was told by developer "in some circumstances setting UAC = off is needed to make TN work correctly, but since this can confuse customers, UAC issue is being worked on".
Regardling "as admin" - this is required 105%, and not only for TN, but for HM (1 or 2) and poker clients. So this is usual thing.

CyberSam
06-25-2013, 05:32 PM
I'd really be interested to know what those circumstances could be :)
And I naturally agree on 2nd point - you have to run TN2 as administrator, "as is for now".

That hasn't always been the case and it wouldn't have to be that way; I used to run ie. PT3 with
several poker clients (different networks) without admin rights in Windows XP. FullTilt poker client
even installed and worked OK, without asking admin rights (ever). Just some examples.

Sarek
06-26-2013, 12:44 PM
XP is a different thing, XP is easier to use and manage than W7\8.
But under XP you can not run TN2, btw. No Aero because.