PDA

View Full Version : Unable to access networked DB

nojgib
01-16-2011, 10:43 AM
I have Holdem Manager installed on my desktop acting as a server, and my laptop with the DB networked.
I have had no issues until last night.
I was playing on my laptop with HM running when the power went out. Everything lost power and shut off except my laptop (I know I should have a UPS :( ......). When the power came back on, I refired my desktop and restarted HM on my laptop. I am now getting errors when trying to connect on my laptop (something to the effect of "remote host forcibly closed".... I can get the exact errors if needed).
If I launch HM on my desktop everything works fine, so my DB is still intact.
I have also tried rebooting my laptop.
I looked over the postgres config files and all seem to be as I set them.

I'm just wondering if anyone had experienced this before and if I'm overlooking something simple?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Patvs
01-16-2011, 11:24 PM
The SQL server is still running on the desktop?
Can you -as a test- create a new database to see if the laptop can connect to that?

Which SQL version are you running?
Can you reinstall SQL on the desktop entirely?

nojgib
01-17-2011, 12:00 AM
I can make a new DB to test it out in the morning (11 PM here and ready for sleep).

The server is running on the desktop. I'm running 8.4
I have downloaded 9.xx (whatever the latest version is I got it today) but have not yet installed it.
I was thinking updating was where I should start first, with an install of the newest version. I have had no issues with my setup so I figured if it was a simple setting I was overlooking that may be easier to fix.
Will update tomorrow.

nojgib
01-17-2011, 03:49 PM
Well, I feel a little silly:o

I installed vers 9.0 this afternoon with no change to the error.
I looked again at the hba file and all looked fine.

Then I took a look at my laptop (which was the only peice that did not lose power) and it turns out that I never assigned a static IP address. I thought I did when I got it, but must have never gotten to it. When the power came back on, it got assigned a different IP address (not sure why) but I assigned the static IP that I had in the hba file and all is good.

Thanks for taking a look.

nojgib
01-17-2011, 03:53 PM
Thread can be closed