PDA

View Full Version : Bets of a hand and DB documentation

cotte
11-12-2008, 12:41 PM
Hi

How can I get information about how the betting proceeds for any given hand? There seem to be all kinds of computed values in tables like playerhandscashkeycolumns and playerhandscashmisc but I can't figure out how to follow the betting throughout the hand bet by bet. Is there such information at all or do I have to parse the handhistory files? I was really hoping I wouldn't have to do that :).

Btw, should the standardizedhandhistory column have some values?
If I query the whole table using
SELECT standardizedhandhistory
FROM handhistories
there is not a single value in this column. What is the standardizedhandhistory used for anyway?

Also, is there some general documentation available for the database structure yet? Like ER-charts and/or relational model with comments. I searched the old forum and found out that other people had asked the same question but that was more than 6 months ago. Now, as a software developer myself, I know writing documentation can be a PITA (although a very important one :D), but I think some documentation about the structure of the DB would help many people here.

Many of the tables and columns are fairly easy to understand but some are not. There are quite a few things I don't understand.

The reason I need this information is that I'm doing my master's thesis on poker and I need to analyze quite a bit of HH-data.

Thanks in advance

morny
11-12-2008, 09:34 PM
Was any of the stickied threads not useful in finding what you need? Theres quite alot of detail in them, if not let me know and ill escalate to Roy who should be able to help

cotte
11-13-2008, 10:44 PM
Was any of the stickied threads not useful in finding what you need? Theres quite alot of detail in them, if not let me know and ill escalate to Roy who should be able to help

Yeah, I did read the stickies. There's a lot of information there, that's for sure.
However, I still couldn't figure out the things I'm trying to understand.
I'd appreciate if you could ask Roy to answer these questions.

Thanks for great support.

morny
11-13-2008, 10:50 PM
No Problem, escalated to Roy

Cygnus
11-14-2008, 06:28 PM
I've been combing the tables lately and I haven't found any such animal either, but I didn't really expect to find one.

When I used PT, they didn't have anything like that either, and at one point I ended up creating my own in SQL Server, calling it the Actions table.

The problem was the table became a beast. For 800,000 hands, the Actions table had 12.3 million rows.

I don't even consider 800k that many hands, you could imagine how big it could get for a serious database of 10mil hands or so (about 150mil).

Now maybe that is just the cost of doing business, and certainly a 150mil row table isn't the biggest table out there or something that postgre or sql server cannot handle.

However, it was a bit difficult to query due to it's size.

I'm guessing Roy doesn't have one here because he is doing everything in his power to avoid having such a table, as it would be a performance nightmare.
Though for some deep specific querying (like I like to do), it can be useful.

Cygnus

Rvg72
11-14-2008, 09:14 PM
You are right, there is no table / column like that to see the entire makeup of actions sequentially. You could write a program that grabbed the player action string and seat positions and piece it together like that.

Best thing to do is to enabled Standardized hand insertion in the DB (from the hand history option screen) and then reimport. You will find that very hand from every site is now saved in a fairly simple xml format so you will still need to parse but at least the hand history format will be the exact same for every site.

Roy