PDA

View Full Version : FT HUD switching from FR to 6-max on short table

Veteran68
01-09-2011, 09:03 PM
I've seen this a few times before but managed to catch a screenshot tonight. When a FR tournament table plays down to 5 or 6 handed, the HUD will often (but I don't think always) switch to a 6-max layout, which totally screws up the panel layouts. If I then use the Table Preferences->Card and Alignment Edit mode, it shows the mucked holecards starting with AA at seat #3 and the rest spread out until 66 at seat #9 (pretty much how the panels are arranged in the screenshot). This isn't how my 6-max HUD is laid out either, so it's not switching to MY 6-max layout, it just looks like it's getting confused.

Since FT doesn't remove seats on a short table, the HUD shouldn't be trying to switch at all.

http://morrisonline.us/pics/poker/cc$5ft-2011-01-09.png

The Minder
01-09-2011, 10:03 PM
HUD Options > Player Preferences... select your profile and then in the 'Use For' tab is '6-max' and 'full' checked?

Veteran68
01-13-2011, 01:06 AM
HUD Options > Player Preferences... select your profile and then in the 'Use For' tab is '6-max' and 'full' checked?
Yes it is! So I assume that making a separate HUD for 6-max should fix it, if that's the problem. I'll try that. It's been like that all the time, however, and this isn't a consistent problem that I recall -- it just happens sometimes.

I guess I don't see why the problem exists at all. A FR table doesn't become a 6-max table, it's still a FR table with 5 or 6 or 3 or 2 players. I don't play on any sites that removes seats and shuffles players as tables get short. HEM knows whether a table is FR, so once the HUD is set to FR why would it ever switch to a 6-max layout just because it got short? Doesn't make much sense to me. The HUD logic shouldn't be looking at the current number of sitting players at a given moment to determine it's layout, it should be looking at the number of seats or at least the number of starting players, and then lock-in the layout for that.

The Minder
01-13-2011, 02:14 AM
I guess I don't see why the problem exists at all. A FR table doesn't become a 6-max table, it's still a FR table with 5 or 6 or 3 or 2 players.....

It does according the the HM heirarchy.

The HUD logic shouldn't be looking at the current number of sitting players at a given moment to determine it's layout, it should be looking at the number of seats or at least the number of starting players, and then lock-in the layout for that.
The HUD should not change as the number of players changes... really, it doesn't on mine so you have an error somewhere. But once the hands get into the db then HM forever separates them into FR and 6-max irrespective of the number seats at the table. Isn't this just a marvelous option?

Anyway, enough of the cynicism... you might want to look here:
http://forums.holdemmanager.com/holdem-manager-suggestions/28256-cash-games-hm-recognise-seats.html

Applies to tournies too, but don't hold your breath.

Veteran68
01-13-2011, 02:22 PM
The HUD should not change as the number of players changes... really, it doesn't on mine so you have an error somewhere.
Yep, as you can see above it does on mine and I'm pretty sure I've seen others report it. But as I said, it's not consistent. And I haven't seen it happen on Stars that I can recall, just FT. Do you play primarily on Stars or FT?

But once the hands get into the db then HM forever separates them into FR and 6-max irrespective of the number seats at the table. Isn't this just a marvelous option?

Anyway, enough of the cynicism... you might want to look here:
http://forums.holdemmanager.com/holdem-manager-suggestions/28256-cash-games-hm-recognise-seats.html

Applies to tournies too, but don't hold your breath.
Yeah, the problem addressed there seems related to how HEM lumps shorthanded FR tables into 6-max results in the db, which I agree is a problem most likely related to their schema. But while also related to shorthanded FR tables, it's a different problem than the HUD simply recognizing the type of layout it needs to apply to a table. Once it decides a table is FR, it should stick to that and never change (nor even re-evaluate) regardless of how many players are seated. We know it's correctly identifying the number of seats when the HUD loads, because it knows which HUD layout to apply, but why is it changing that later as tables get short? I believe the stats issue is more of a design flaw around the schema, while this HUD problem just seems like more of a bug or a coding logic issue.

The Minder
01-13-2011, 07:35 PM
Yep, as you can see above it does on mine and I'm pretty sure I've seen others report it. But as I said, it's not consistent. And I haven't seen it happen on Stars that I can recall, just FT. Do you play primarily on Stars or FT?

I'm not sure what your prob can be so I hope one of the support people reads this and offers some advice. The fact it is only happening on FTP for you leads me to believe it is something specifically in your FTP FR profile.

I play SnG/MTT on Stars and 50:50 cash PS/FTP... although I am a real cash noob so don't put in a lot of time on this.

khdmb9
01-13-2011, 10:17 PM
Im having the same problem along with the hud just having a problem and closing every fifteen to twenty minutes.

netsrak
01-14-2011, 05:28 AM
You need to configure your tourney hud configuration under "Use for" to work for HU, 6-max and Fullring.

@khdmb9: i need more details about your configuration and HM version. I think you should open a new thread with this and please attach your holdemmanager.config file from C:\Program Files(X86)\RVG Software\Holdem Manager\Config folder (or something similar depending on your installation). It may be just called holdemmanager if you've extenstions turned off.

Veteran68
01-14-2011, 08:12 PM
You need to configure your tourney hud configuration under "Use for" to work for HU, 6-max and Fullring.
Are you saying one HUD config with all three settings checked? If so, that's exactly what I have.

Or are you suggesting, as Minder did, that I create 3 HUD configs, one each for HU, 6-max, and FR?

The Minder
01-14-2011, 08:54 PM
Are you saying one HUD config with all three settings checked? If so, that's exactly what I have.

Or are you suggesting, as Minder did, that I create 3 HUD configs, one each for HU, 6-max, and FR?

I'm not sure I suggested that, but it is the way I have my HM set up as I don't believe that 6-max and FR play the same way. Btw, I don't have a HU profile for tournies. After tits on a bull, a HU tourny profile is the second most useless thing ever conceived.

No, I think it's simply that you have a switch checked/unchecked somewhere in the profile that's making your HUD lose the plot when the tables downsize.

Here's an example. I play FR MTTs on pokerstars, so I have a HUD named, say, PSFRNLHEMTT. I then set that profile to work on Pokerstars (and no other site) and set it to work on FR, 6 and HU. If I need more profiles, say FTP6NLHEMTT then I set similar parameters... note that I still check all the FR/6-max/HU options.

The logic for this is simple. Contrary to what the HM developers will tell you there is absolutely no difference between a full FR and a reduced FR. Why? Because people enter a FR because they like to play FR just as 6-max people enter 6-max tables for the same reason. Just because a player or two is missing doesn't instantly make everyone play as if the tourney has changed it's spots. Besides, the shortfall is usually just for one player and for a short time until you get down to 3 and 2 tables left.

Hope this helps.

Sarek
01-15-2011, 05:17 AM
imo, the best way is to have 3 different configs (FR, SH and HU)

Veteran68
01-15-2011, 11:58 PM
Here's an example. I play FR MTTs on pokerstars, so I have a HUD named, say, PSFRNLHEMTT. I then set that profile to work on Pokerstars (and no other site) and set it to work on FR, 6 and HU. If I need more profiles, say FTP6NLHEMTT then I set similar parameters... note that I still check all the FR/6-max/HU options.
This is exactly what I'm doing, so I must have misunderstood you at first. I have two HUDs for each site, one for cash, one for tourneys, named similiary to yours. Each one has the HU, 6-max, and FR boxes checked for the respective game type, and nothing else. On FT I still get the occasional (not always) HUD shenanigans I showed above in the OP when the table drops to 6 players or less. I'm not sure what setting I could have checked that would effect this, nor can I logically think of why any setting would cause such a problem.

The only thing I can think of is that over the years I've created a lot of different experimental HUD configurations. I cleaned most of them out awhile ago, but I wonder if somewhere along the way, the HUD setup just got corrupted. Maybe I need to export my active HUDs, clear the setup completely, and start over.

imo, the best way is to have 3 different configs (FR, SH and HU)

That may be my next step, but I still don't get why it would be necessary. The HUD should never re-evaluate and try to change to another layout, once one is chosen for a specific table.