PDA

View Full Version : New Computer, Need To Transfer DB

ClutchCity
11-11-2008, 09:11 PM
I looked through the FAQ and did a forum search but couldn't quite find what I need to know. I got a new computer, and I want all of my hands for myself and the datamined ones in my DB transfered to the new computer.

I read the FAQ topic about transferring to a new hard drive on the same computer... Should I still backup and restore the DB with my situation?

I guess I wanna save all the files and settings, what else do I need to copy over to the new computer? I'm guessing the whole postgres folder? The thing with that is, I run PT3 and HEM both at the same time, so that folder is quite large and may contain some of the same data. Since I'll be transfering my PT3 DB's over as well, I don't wanna have a bunch of redundant data, so I'm just wondering what specific files I need for HEM.

After I copy the necessary files off the old computer, what's the most efficient way to import hands on the new one? I have all the processed hands saved in a folder, will I have to re-import them all again or if I transfer the DB right will I get to avoid that?

Also, should I install postgres 8.2, 8.3, or other on the new computer?

So, the main question, what's the best way to transfer my DB to a new computer?

I know that was long, thanks to anyone who helps out.

morny
11-11-2008, 09:41 PM
Backup and restore is quicker however its less reliable, if you already have all your original HH saved then youll just need to reimport them

You can also copy the contents of the Config folder in HM and paste that into the new config folder and that will retain postgres passwords and settings and hud layout.

Postgresql 8.3 is best

ClutchCity
11-11-2008, 10:42 PM
Okay, I guess I'll just re-import. Concerning copying the config folder, I'll be going from XP to Vista and 8.2 to 8.3. Would that cause a compatibility issue, would I still wanna try and transfer those settings?

Thanks for your help.

fabio
11-11-2008, 11:12 PM
there wont be any issues