PDA

View Full Version : System specifications

VikingsFan93
01-03-2011, 04:17 PM
I am thinking of buying a new laptop. I found one that has the following specs is this enough power to support using HEM and multi-tabling on Full Tilt Poker?

AMD V-Series Processor V-140
2.3 GHz processor speed
512KB Level 2 Cache
2 GB DDR3 RAM (Expandable to 8 GB)
320 GB 5,400RPM Serial ATA Hard Drive
15.6" High Definition Brightview Display
Resolution 1366 x 768

Thanks for any help that you can give me!

The Minder
01-03-2011, 07:27 PM
This probably meets HM's minimum specs list, but TBH I wouldn't touch that laptop with a bargepole. It's a single core processor with limited RAM and a slow hard drive. By the time you push Windows 7 on to it, with postgress and then try and multi-table I think you are going to start pushing the stops. And that's before you load it with anti-virus and anything else you might choose to run at the same time.

My 2c worth.

VikingsFan93
01-03-2011, 09:29 PM
This probably meets HM's minimum specs list, but TBH I wouldn't touch that laptop with a bargepole. It's a single core processor with limited RAM and a slow hard drive. By the time you push Windows 7 on to it, with postgress and then try and multi-table I think you are going to start pushing the stops. And that's before you load it with anti-virus and anything else you might choose to run at the same time.

My 2c worth.

Thanks very much, I appreciate the reply. What would you say are the minimum specs needed to run HEM and postgress and multi-table on FTP? I would not be multitasking much beyond that other than having a web browser open.

The Minder
01-03-2011, 09:49 PM
Your question is a bit along the lines of "what's the minimum vehicle I need to drive my kids to school". A 1942 Mach truck will do it, so will a 2010 Prius.

Anyway, there are a couple of elements I think you need to consider. HM is a database and that means there's a lot of hard drive activity. So a system with a HD minimum speed of 7,200 is almost mandatory. After that, for a 32 bit O/S load to 4Gb fast RAM and for a 64 bit O/S load to 8Gb fast RAM.

Get the brightest/densest screen with the most powerful graphics card you can afford. Don't buy a laptop until you see it in operation and go "whoa... that's narly".

Edit: Don't get anything with Vista on it.

Patvs
01-04-2011, 10:27 PM
For regular multitabling (read: 6-tabling) and a regular sized database (<1 million hands)

Any average NEW laptop will do. (average means: 3+ GB RAM, dual core CPU).

The problem arises... not so much when you're 16-tabling, but the 16-tabling will probably lead to a multi-million database. For that you need at least a 7200 RPM harddisk (SSD recommended), 4+ GB RAM.

(You really only need the SSD if you often (re)-import many hands, run reports, want to see many different graphs faster)

But if you 16-table, you can only play stacked on a 1366 x 768 resolution laptop, so you should consider a more suitable dual-monitor setup (1920x1080) even faster desktop.