PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Win8 and SSD

dwallen
05-16-2013, 07:49 PM
I have a brand new computer with a clean new install of Win8 which has been migrated to a 250GB SSD. I want to move my HM2 from my old Win7/64 machine to the new Win8 machine to take advantage of the SSD, which I bought mainly to speed up HM2. I have a recent database backup created with a 6 month or so old version of HM2. Postgres is 8.4.x on the Win7 machine (not sure what the minor version is, if that matters). The postgressql/8.4 folder is currently 30GB-about a million hands.

I have read the Win8 sticky so my first question is: is HM2 on Win8 a bit more stable than was implied in the somewhat dated sticky? Or should I still expect far more problems than on Win7?

Assuming Win8 is ok:
1) I assume based on reading posts that I start with a manual install of Postgres. Should I go with their most recent 8.4.x or a newer 9.x.x?
2) I assume I do a complete install of Postgres to the SSD. Or do i install the program stuff to HD and just make the db folder on the SSD somehow? I want to maximize SSD usage for the db.
3) Assuming Postgres is on the SSD, I assume it doesn't really matter whether HM2 is installed to the SSD or the HD, or whether HMARCHIVE is on SSD or HD.

Please correct any bonehead assumptions, and point me in the right direction

Thanks

Patvs
05-16-2013, 08:51 PM
Are you using NoteCaddy and have many NoteCaddy definitions?

There can be some problems with PostgreSQL on Windows 8. Here is a guide to help with issues with Windows 8 and HM.

http://forums.holdemmanager.com/general-support/346061-windows-8-upgrade-guide.html

For postgres problems with Win 8. It's a little different from Win 7.

The show hidden files is a little different.

It is located in the View - Options section. At the top, there are 4 menu buttons - File, Home, Share, View. Click the view. From there, it's just like in all other windows. Folder Options hasn't changed.

Getting to programs is a PITA without the Start menu. To run CMD as an admin:

go to the start screen, where it lists all your programs.

Right click in the bottom right, it shows "All Apps" button. Click that.

Go to the Windows section.

There, you see Command prompt.

Right click that, at the bottom, on the left, are options. Click Run as Administrator

----

1. Go with 8.4.x if you want to create a backup on your old PC--> restore the backup on your new PC.
Ideally, install 9.2.x on the new PC--> then reimport all the original handhistory files into a new empty database.

2. Install every important program to the SSD: Windows, HoldemManager, PostgreSQL (postgres.exe/holdemmanager.config), and the PostgreSQL database (/data folder).
If the SSD is not your "C:\" drive, use the installer from PostgreSQL: The world's most advanced open source database (http://www.postgresql.org), which allows you to choose the drive location.

3. It doesn't matter where HMArchive is located, but it is advisable Windows, HoldemManager and PostgreSQL are also on the fastest drive.