PDA

View Full Version : Postgres not starting

iSTRONG
11-11-2008, 10:52 AM
description of my problem here...

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/45/software/postgres-help-needed-cant-connect-server-340914/

Hopefully someone here can help...

morny
11-11-2008, 01:09 PM
Can u explain in more detail exactly how you reinstalled postgres and the new database and i might be able to help. You dont have access to the old HH aswell just the contents of the Dat folder is it?

iSTRONG
11-11-2008, 01:40 PM
Can u explain in more detail exactly how you reinstalled postgres and the new database and i might be able to help. You dont have access to the old HH aswell just the contents of the Dat folder is it?

My old setup:
Windows Vista x64 on c:
postgres installed on its own partition on d:
So my d drive only has one folder in it d:/Postgresql/8.3/etc etc

Then i decided to reformat c: and install XP on it. d: was not changed.
Then i tried to install postgres. When it asked me where i want it installed i pointed it to the D drive.
It recognised that there was a old installation there and said that it was gonna use the configuration of the old database. The install looked like it went fine but i wasn't able to start the server.

I get this message:

The postgresql-8.3 service is starting..........................................
The postgresql-8.3 service could not be started.

The service did not report an error.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3534.

The start command returned an error (2)

Since that didn't work, i wiped everything i had on D: (i have a backup of my old database files) and reinstalled postgres on this empty partition. That worked!... but obviously i still haven't got access to my old database. So i stopped the service; deleted the /data folder and replaced it with my old /data folder.... and again the service fails to start.

I'm kinda running out of things to try.

also, i don't have a .backup file. just all the files and folders that were present in my previous install.

morny
11-11-2008, 08:33 PM
Try this,

Firstly navigate to the data folde and if there is a postmaster.pid file delete it and then restart the PostgreSQL and try connecting again, failing that uninstall PostgreSQL then your PostgreSQL folder will be left behind, go to the data folder and delete its contents and import your backup files from your data folder. Then reinstall PostgreSQL and when it gets to the screen where it asks for the password the 2nd time unitck initialise database cluster and finish the installation.
Try to connect again and repeat the postmaster delete if it dosent open

iSTRONG
11-11-2008, 08:53 PM
there is a postmaster.opts file but no postmaster.pid