PDA

View Full Version : Restoring Data on a new computer

hmf_1
12-31-2010, 01:13 PM
Hi!

I did backup my database on my old computer using pgadmin (postgresql 8.3). I didn't know by the time HM has a backup function as well.
I did try to restore my database and everything works fine on my old computer.

On my new computer I did install postgresql 9.0. I did create a new database using SQL_ASCII. But somehow I can''t restore my database. I get an error "Database wasn't found".

Do I have to switch back to postgresql8.3? What went wrong?

Thx and happy new year!

PS: This is the comman line pgadmin creates. Does that look right? (Looks kind of strange around dbname?!?

C:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/9.0/bin\pg_restore.exe --host localhost --port 5432 --username postgres --dbname \"HoldemManager2010\" --verbose "D:\Documents\Dadabase Backups\hm2010.backup"

netsrak
01-01-2011, 07:41 AM
As far as i know Postgres 9 can't read 8.3 backups.

Additionally Postgres 9 is not officially supported by HM - it works in general but not the build in backup/restore functionality.

You should install 8.4 on a different port, import the 8.3 backup, create a new 8.4 backup and restore this under 9.0.
Or you use 8.3 or 8.4.

gerapapa
01-06-2011, 05:35 PM
I dont want to open a new topic (i hope it's not problem), so i just write down here my problem which is connected to the topic.

I did backup on my postgresql database (postgresql 8.3.x) and I reinstalled my windows 7, i setup firstly a postgresql 8.4.x version, I restored the database as I read in the faq.
But when I tried to launch holdemmanager, it doesn't accept the database when i clicked "set as default" in Database Control Panel ("You can only make Holdem Manager databases the default database")

I tried it with postgresql 8.3, but the problem is same.

netsrak
01-07-2011, 05:50 AM
Seems like something is wrong with your backup / restore.

Did you restore the backup on the new installation via pgadmin into an empty, new created database?
Did you create this new database with the same coding as the original one?

When you created the backup did you change the pgadmin backup options somehow?

gerapapa
01-07-2011, 08:42 AM
Yes I created a new empty database.
How do you mean the same coding? I didnt change anything on the "create new database" window, i just wrote a new name(but its not the same as the original).
When i did the backup it was long time but the restore was only a few sec. It is problem?
I tried to follow the instructions of the faq, so i dont think i changed any options.

netsrak
01-08-2011, 06:53 AM
Older postgresql versions use a coding of SQL_ASCII, newer ones UTF.
So if you try to restore an older backup you need to change the coding and the template when creating the database.

To find out the coding of your backup file open it in a texteditor. There should be some readable text in the first lines about the coding but don't change anything.

gerapapa
01-10-2011, 07:20 AM
I found an encoding line, which is 'win1250', just like the new database.

netsrak
01-10-2011, 10:41 AM
Ok, that should be fine.
We have a bug in the database management with the export but the same message as the one you posted above comes up.
Can you try 1.11.05d instead? FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Download Links For Past Builds (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/426/Download+Links+For+Past+Builds)

gerapapa
01-10-2011, 01:43 PM
nothing changed...
it seems i should import the hands.

netsrak
01-11-2011, 04:35 AM
Do you get any errors in the import message window?

gerapapa
01-13-2011, 06:48 AM
No, it imported fine the hands, with only 100 errors. Just it lasted 13 hours, ~600k hands.

Anyway, thanks your help!