PDA

View Full Version : Cannot connect to Server (login) through pgAdmin 3, says it failed to connect to DB

xplore
12-22-2010, 06:18 AM
So basically I load up pgAdmin3, I click PostgreSQL 8.4 (localhost:5432) and it prompts for a password.

I type in ' postgrespass ', it fails. So I'm thinking the pw I'm using is wrong, I then go into the pg_hba.conf file and change all md5 entries to trust. Meaning now I can use whatever password I would like, still no luck.

NOW when I start HEM latest version, it says this error :

' The following error occurred when trying to open the dtabase: Failed to establish a connection to '127.0.0.1'.

I click OK, the Database Control Panel comes up, here's the current settings
Server Name : 172.0.0.1
Port Number : 5432
Login Name : postgres
Password : postgrespass, password, admin, etc (it doesn't matter)

I click ' Connect ' and receive this,

' A connection to PostgreSQL could not be made. Would you like to have HM attempt to start the service? '

I click ' Yes ', receive this,

' Sorry, Holdem Manager was unable to start the service '

I click ' Ok ', receive this,

' Holdem Manager has started the service. Please try again. '

After clicking OK, I try connecting once more and see these same messages follow.

Could someone please explain what is going on with my DB? I recently changed my IP from dynamic to static, but that shouldn't matter since it uses a loopback address anyway (127.0.0.1).

I have one firewall which allows PostgreSQL/HEM full functionality within the network and have no blockages. I have even tried disabling the firewall with no improved results.

I'm not sure where to even start with fixing this error, thanks for a response.

netsrak
12-22-2010, 09:38 AM
Seems like you made something wrong with editing the conf file.
Restore the original version and restart your postgresql service.

xplore
12-22-2010, 09:53 AM
Seems like you made something wrong with editing the conf file.
Restore the original version and restart your postgresql service.

which conf file?

netsrak
12-23-2010, 04:39 AM
The file you changed as you explained in your 1st post - pg_hba.conf