PDA

View Full Version : after extensive troubleshooting, still unable to install postgres.

bdb66
12-21-2010, 11:01 PM
Hey everyone,

I dont mean to create yet another help thread, but I have gone through all of the faqs, both on this site as well as post gres, as well as searched through numerous google threads without being able to pinpoint an answer. I'm sure it has an easy solution, but here goes. I'm using windows xp media edition, and when i first try to use the combo installer i get the basic 'failed to establish a connection to 127.0.0.1". I trouble shot through that section, with no results. I deleted all anti virus/fire walls. One thing i couldn't do was find the link to turn off UAC. I'm not sure if thats only for vista and windows 7, but when i follow the faq and go to user accounts it's not there. I've also logged on as administrator and enabled all users administrator access and i still get the same result.

Then i believe it said to try to log onto local systems account, so when i go to services in administrative settings, postgres database server is not there. Then i uninstalled everything, including deleting the service account, and tried to do a fresh install of just postgres from the main website, and i get this error message "error reading file c:/programfiles/postgressql/8.4/data/postgresql.conf"

Sorry for the long post, but i'm really frustrated. If anyone knows what i should try next please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Patvs
12-22-2010, 02:42 AM
Update your Windows to Service Pack 3
Run another Windows Update and install all critical updates and non-critical .net framework updates.

Delete the postgres user: click on Start and go to Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt

* If you are on Vista, rightclick and choose "Run as Administrator".

A black box should appear. Type 'net user postgres /del' (without the quotes) and press enter.

The user is now deleted and you can (re)install PostgreSQL.

---

Then manually install PostgreSQL downloading the installer from PostgreSQL: The world's most advanced open source database (http://www.postgresql.org)
(use postgrespass for password)
If 8.4.5 fails, try 8.2.19 and install it on port 5433. PostgreSQL: Choose a Mirror (http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/download/mirrors-ftp/binary/v8.2.19/win32/postgresql-8.2.19-1.zip)

bdb66
01-08-2011, 06:48 PM
Thank you, for anyone with a similar problem, i installed an older version of postgres and it worked.