PDA

View Full Version : HEM on Mac using Crossover (Wine)

mjr161
12-21-2010, 09:43 AM
I've read through some of the Linux Wine threads and some users have reported getting HEM to work with it. I am hoping this also includes Mac OS's version called Crossover.

I play all the major sites in Mac OS already (stars, ftp, cereus, merge), which leaves just bodog and cake which I am currently running along with HEM in Fusion in an XP VM. My issue is just that all these programs (parallels, vmware, virtualbox) are just too damn slow when run in unity/coherence, so I'd really like to cut out the windows altogether and run Crossover for the 3 programs (bodog, cake, HEM) that I need it for now.

From what I understand I would install postgres in Mac OS and then install HEM in wine. This should be able to connect without having to network the db? I'm really hoping this will work, and the only issue I usually see mentioned in these wine threads is the hud not working. I don't use a hud, so that's not a big deal. I just need to import hands and run reports. Any advice would be appreciated.

Oh, and native mac version 1x :) I'd pay $300 for it, seriously. You all know us Mac guys don't mind paying extra for quality.

morny
12-22-2010, 09:38 PM
Ill run this by some of the support guys who use Macs as i havent used them so im not sure

mjr161
12-24-2010, 06:11 AM
ty, any word back from them?

Patvs
12-24-2010, 07:06 AM
Morny forwarded it to all support + programmers.
Unfortunately, none of us have experience with Linux (we also don't even own Macs). So we have very limited knowledge of your issue.

So I'm not sure this is someting we can support.

Did you read: HOWTO: Install Holdem Manager While Running Mac OS X | Mac Poker Dojo (http://www.macpokerdojo.com/2010/03/04/howto-install-holdem-manager-while-running-mac-os-x/)
where they run postgres from the Mac-side, improving performance when you're using VMWare/Bootcamp/Parellels?

I'd seriously consider to either just use Bootcamp, or post on the 2+2 Tech forum, where there surely are other Wine/Crossover users who have experience in this.

mjr161
12-24-2010, 08:58 AM
Ya, I've networked the postgres db in the past, although in my case that's just not the issue. I don't use a hud, and half the time don't even run the auto import while I play. All I need HEM to do is import hands and run reports for me.

The issue is that virtualization... well just sucks in the Unity/Coherence modes. Running one OS on top of another is just a huge waste of resources, but at the same time I did spend almost $5,000 on my i7 MacbookPro/ 30" Cinema display combo to get the very best, and Mac OS is part of the awesomeness that I just can't give up for Windows.

I have found that Bodog and Cake can both run in Wine / Crossover at native speeds without much issue, which leaves just HEM and I could get rid of Fusion and Windows altogether. The issue seems to be .net 3.5, which doesn't seem to work with Crossover. Can we install an earlier version of .net that Crossover supports, or does it need to be 3.5?

IMO I sorta feel like you guys should take some time and look into this, especially if you don't plan on developing the native mac client that people here keep asking for. Virtualization technically works, but between the cost of a copy of Windows and Parallels as well as the extra resources running OS on top of OS uses, getting HEM to work with Wine could shut up us mac guys for a while while you guys evaluate a native mac version.

Patvs
12-24-2010, 03:56 PM
If Wine has an issue with .net 3.5 you're screwed, as HoldemManager relies on the latest .net framework. A lot of Windows users have similar issues with HoldemManager if they haven't (or are unable to update) .net framework.

Another issue is 90% of Mac users that want to run HoldemManager on the native Mac OSX, are not going to use CrossOver/Wine. (based on the fact that only 10% of Mac users for example have jailbreaked their Iphone/Ipod although it's legal to jailbreak it)

HoldemManager is very dependent on .net framework, which is why the Virtual-Windows environment works so well, eventhough running one OS on top of the other is a waste of resources.