PDA

View Full Version : Migrating PostgreSQL DB's from old machine to new

Thunza
12-18-2010, 09:01 PM
Hi there,

I apologise in advance if this has been answered on countless previous posts - I did a search but I could not find anything that fitted my circumstances exactly (although, then again, I think my search phrasing might have just been clumsy).

My motherboard eventually cooked itself the other day, which resulted in me investing in a new machine with a new processor, power supply, ram, an upgrade to Windows 7 and a harddrive, although I kept my old hard drive for the purpose of migrating my data and to utilize as a back up drive.

I have subseuently downloaded the latest version of HEM, whiich couples PostGreSQL 8.4 as part of the package. My question pertains to how I can copy the db that was on the old drive (which was on PostGreSQL 8.3). I have attempted to copy the files and folders under the "data" folder from the old drive into the same folder on the new drive under the 8.4/data folder (as suggested in one of the posts I found), but this simply results in me not being able to connect to the server (unless there are one or two files that I should not be copying over in this directory as it is a later version of PostGreSQL???)

I have also attempted to go back and install PostGreSQL3 to try and negotiate a manner to get up and running on the older version so I could then export files the usual way, but with no success - could not get it to install (although there is a high probability that this could be purely a result of a user understanding deficiency...:))

Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Patvs
12-19-2010, 02:00 AM
SQL 8.3.x and 8.4.x are not compatible with each other.

So you have two options:
-1 copy your entire SQL 8.3 folder to the same folder on your new computer.
Re-Install SQL 8.3 to that folder. And it should detect your old database. (make sure the PORT SQL 8.3 installs to doesn't overlap with your current SQL 8.4 installation)

-2 hook up the old harddisk on your new computer.
Re-install SQL 8.3 to the old harddisk. And it should detect and be able to connect to your old database.

Thunza
12-19-2010, 04:44 AM
Thanks you so much for the quick reply - worked perfectly.

As suggested, I re-installed SQL 3 on the old drive, it picked up my old HEM db, I then backed up this db to my new harddisk and then reinstalled HEM with the 8.4 build on the new drive, and simply restored the backup to the holdemmanager db.

Once again, thanks for the excellent support - much appreciated.