PDA

View Full Version : How long does HEM backup take?

gymchamp
12-08-2010, 02:13 PM
Just wondering how long it normally takes to run HEM backup. Backup manager has been running for 13 hours. Everything is all greyed out and I can't click on anything. The last message in the status was "[12/8/2010 12:21 AM] Archiving database: holdemmanager...please be patient."

My database does have over 3 million hands in it but I'm assuming something is messed up and I need to try again?

RunBad4Life
12-08-2010, 02:18 PM
Mine took 3 days just installing hand histories onto a BRAND NEW laptop and that was about 500k hands :(

gymchamp
12-08-2010, 02:39 PM
Can a mod confirm this. This seems ridiculous since I exported my hands from this same database in august instead of using this new backup and restore function and it definitely didn't take anywhere near this long. Maybe like 5 or 6 hours. I've been waiting 13 hours already. And now I might have to wait a few more days for HEM to back things up???

If this is true I'll just stop the backup now and export the hands to backup instead. I'm assuming I can't use HEM while this backup is running and there's no way I can not play poker for a few more days. Does it really take this long?

gymchamp
12-08-2010, 02:43 PM
Also is there a safe way to stop the Holdem Manager backup? Everything is greyed out so I assume I should just go into the task manager.

Thanks

Patvs
12-08-2010, 07:37 PM
Backup of 3 million hands.. shouldn't take longer than two hours.

Backup/restore is much faster than actually reimporting the original handhistories into a new database, thus making it the recommended method to restore a large database on a new computer.

Instead of using the backup & restore utility IN HoldemManager, try using pgadminIII

gymchamp
12-08-2010, 07:59 PM
Okay thanks. I'll try using pgadminIII.

How do I properly stop the Holdem Manager Backup? The exit button is shaded out. Do I just click the close x at the top right corner of the dialog? Or should I use task manager to close it? Is there any chance this might damage the database?

Thanks so much.

Patvs
12-08-2010, 09:05 PM
Just use the TaskManager, and close holdemmanager.exe

By the way, if pgadminIII seems to be "not responding' during a backup/restore, don't close it in TaskManager, but just wait until it un-freezes

Veteran68
12-09-2010, 12:19 PM
Yeah, I'll reiterate that pgAdmin isn't terribly well designed with regards to UI updates during intensive tasks like a backup. You get no real-time progress status during the process, and it appears to be non-responsive and locked up. Just leave it alone and let it do it's thing, eventually it will finish.