PDA

View Full Version : Memory leak

leoslayer
12-08-2010, 12:44 PM
I was trying to help a friend with his computer. Hem is using a lot of ram. He has xp and runs win xp pro to free ram. well i am sitting there and watching his ram dwindle down to nothing the xp frees some up then down again. it did this a few times. I opend task manager and hem alone was using 500k and i watched it steadily climb past 600k in a very short amount of time.

any ideas?

fopah
12-08-2010, 01:47 PM
Please see this thread for suggestions on how to improve performance http://forums.holdemmanager.com/manager-general/11194-top-10-hem-performance-increase-tips.html

Try removing Winner Name, Winner cards and winner won from the hands view column FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Hands View Column Selection (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/192/Hands+View+Column+Selection) save it and refresh and this should increase the speed of refresh options

If your using the newer version you’ll find it under Options > Settings > Hands View Column Selection

leoslayer
12-08-2010, 02:00 PM
ok but it is doing this even if he is not playing or importing to the point his whole computer locks up. so if he just tries to pull up hands say last 100k it will drain all his ram then the comp will freeze.

so will this fix this?

Patvs
12-08-2010, 07:44 PM
How much RAM does he have?

Pulling up a graph of the last 100k hands will use a lot of RAM.
To improve performance, read:
http://forums.holdemmanager.com/manager-general/11194-top-10-hem-performance-increase-tips.html

Things to do from that list: edit the postgresql.conf file assigning more RAM to SQL.

leoslayer
12-19-2010, 10:21 PM
he has 2 gb of ram. i did not pull up a graph i just went hands then all hands and when i did i wayched the ram counter in win xp pro go from 1500 down to 0
and in task manager it said 1,300,000 k and was still climbing.

i will try to set more ram to it also he has an xp laptop and under power options it dose not list high performance like vista if he plays plugged in what should it be set to?

Patvs
12-19-2010, 10:34 PM
You can ignore the power options for XP.
You can manually run a Windows Update to see if there are .net framework updates you can install.

leoslayer
12-20-2010, 01:33 AM
i changed buffers from 32 to 408 mb and cache to 816 mb. in task mgr i set all items to high.

but still if i try to pull up 114k hands it brings it to a stop

Patvs
12-20-2010, 04:56 AM
Indexing is turned off on the harddisk, the harddisk has been defragmented, and the database has been vacuum/analysed?

If so... try installing a different version of SQL on a different port number. And reimport the hands into a new database.

Also add postgres.exe and the SQL port number to the firewall exceptions list.

leoslayer
12-20-2010, 05:02 AM
firewall was already off and just reinstalled 8.4 as the loss of memory caused hem to crash during an export. this resulted in a loss of data base ( the new installer dose not give you the option of keeping the old in the easy install mode.

If you vacuum the db will it not affect stats? he dose have a small hard drive 50gb with 30gb available.