PDA

View Full Version : Hand History Purge

fclerc
07-22-2008, 07:48 AM
Hi,

I'd like to have additionnal informations about hand history purge as it is implemented right now. Is only the hand history text purged, or is the whole hand (and therefore the stats generated by the play of this hand) erased? From what i can read in the FAQ, it looks like only the hand history text are purged. Is it because player stats are stored in the database already combined?

I think it will be nice if we could completely erased some hands ( and then players that have no hands in the database ), that way we could maintain clean databases with only hands that are important.
The thing is i only used observed hands from the past 6 months, since i consider a player's game can evolved, i think old hands should not be taken into account. I know you can do that with the "Table Preferences" option, but what is the point of keeping these hands in the DB?

In fact i used to do that with PokerTracker and i think it would be a usefull feature for HM. Actually what i used to do is:
- Purge Observed Hands older that 6 months
- Purge Observed Hands with fewer than 4 players
- Purge Observed Hands from site where i don't play anymore
- Purge Players with no hands
- Vacuum Full/Analyse in PgAdmin
- Reindex Force in PgAdmin

That way, i think i can keep the DB at a reasonnable size at all time, and the DB is clean and fast to use.
Maybe if player stats are stored already combined, we can have an option to "recalculate all stats" after the purge. Even if it takes some time, i think the fact that we can keep a DB clean has many advantages regarding performance and maintenance.

Thanks and keep up the good work.
Fabien

morny
07-22-2008, 01:41 PM
Yes the option to comepletly delete hands should be available shortly, HM has been running very efficently on databases with in excess of 15 million HH so there shouldnt be any problem in the meantime but to save space you can purge the hands which only erases HH details.

fclerc
07-24-2008, 05:23 AM
Thanks. This is great news.
Also if you can add an option to delete hands with "Fewer than x players" in the hand, it would be great.