PDA

View Full Version : Optimal "Persist Notes to DB every X hands" Setting?

drgenefish
04-08-2013, 10:51 AM
hey so I just noticed that we have the ability to change this but I don't know exactly where I should start for experimenting

I have a very fast computer, tons of ram, ssd drive etc..

1) What should my every day setting be to use while playing? (it's 2000 right now)

2) If I do a complete notes reset, what would be the absolute fastest I could set it at to make that process go as fast as possible?

thanks in advance!

sreticentv
04-08-2013, 07:48 PM
1. If your database is fully processed it makes no difference as the new data is written to the database as it arrives.

2. If not, then 5000 is fine. Anything above 10000 is probably too much. Some people go higher but the benefit fades with a lot of extra resources used

HiBlak
06-20-2013, 09:42 AM
Hi.

If I'm not creating notes for the new definition, but just playing regular session up to 1000 hands, does setting this option value to 5000 mean that NC will not save any new notes to database for this session?

HossendeHaai
06-20-2013, 09:46 AM
No, as soon as all imported hands are processed NC will save the notes.

HiBlak
06-20-2013, 10:59 AM
Thanks

Valhalla
03-02-2014, 02:44 PM
1. If your database is fully processed it makes no difference as the new data is written to the database as it arrives.

2. If not, then 5000 is fine. Anything above 10000 is probably too much. Some people go higher but the benefit fades with a lot of extra resources used

Hi!
To what resources exactly does this affect? RAM?

karstenkloss
03-02-2014, 05:11 PM
If i have to reset notes and create new for the whole database i always set it to 50.000. No problems......if it's faster than with the recommended 5.000....no idea, but def something worth testing :p

If you process pending tasks for only a few new defs it makes sense to set a very big interval as the note-creation doesn't get permanently interrupted by saving to the database which gives a recognizeable punch for the speed.

Miracle
03-03-2014, 06:53 AM
250 000 best speed for my PC

sreticentv
03-03-2014, 08:54 AM
Hi!
To what resources exactly does this affect? RAM?

correct

El_Bandito
03-23-2015, 07:20 AM
Hi I just want to refresh this thread as we have 2015 now and maybe some things go better. I would like to optimize my setup.

I have got:
1) i7-4790K @4 GHz
2) 238 GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD
3) 16 GB RAM
4) Windows 7 64-bit

My questions are:

1) Why PostgreSQL Tuning do not update:
a) shared_buffers
b) effective_cache_size
c) wal_buffers
?

2) Which posgreSQL version should I have? I have installed postgreSQL with HM2 half year ago so it is 8.4 version, isn't it?

3) I actually work on 16mln hands database. What happen if I set "persist notes to database every x hands" to 17 mln - to get only one cycle? Yes I know - probably it would be system crush because of out of RAM - what if get another 16GB RAM? What number is most accurate for actual setup - I can notice that most time is "saving notes to database" - not "creating notes" so I want get as less cycles as possible.

4) What about my postgresql.conf:
shared_buffers=2048MB
effective_cache_size=4096MB
wal_buffers=16MB

I find this numbers on this forum also for 16GB RAM. Maybe it is not optiumal?

5) I just modify one definition and try to update this notes many times - not efect. I try different settings: very small numbers ( in point 3 and 4) medium and very high also. Always it frezzes or stop working at some point when recreate notes (also windows comunicate many times about out of RAM but on any settings)

Best Regards.

Das NoteCaddy
03-23-2015, 07:30 PM
The best available guide for tuning your system for optimal performance is the one written by Alan Jackson for his AJackson advantage pack. Even people who don't use his pack can greatly benefit from these tips

http://www.notecaddy.com/NoteCaddy Performance Guide v1.2.pdf

El_Bandito
03-23-2015, 07:57 PM
Yes it is very nice but... there is no answer for the topic of this thread. And only "effective_cache_size" change is made with size of RAM. There is no other points when size of RAM has any influence (f.e. shared_buffers)? And also pokerplayers often want to know why they should something - there is no word of comentary in this way.

I have just try with "persist notes to DB every X hands" = 17kk (have over 16kk hands in DB). It has run over this database with nearly 3700h/sec so about 73 minutes. Added 459166 notes. It has stopped at point 16 148 715 hands (of 16 148 823) then I observe some changes in RAM (with Windows' monitoring) and after few minutes it crushed -> There was no info "saving notes to database" but when I look into my HUD there are notes so it has save it to disk in some way. How it can happen?

P.S. Still waiting for another answers for my questions. Especially how hardware should have influence for settings as standard setting we can take from Das NoteCaddy post (expect answer for thread title).

Das NoteCaddy
03-24-2015, 06:41 AM
If you set the persist value to 17 million and it crashes, try a smaller number. No doubt the answers to your questions will vary for every user depending on hands, definitions, hardware. Feel free to conduct experiments and post your results here.

El_Bandito
08-17-2015, 06:22 PM
For 1 river definition (very rarely to make note) I end experiments with 300 000 without crushes but I am sure It could be higher number.