PDA

View Full Version : Prostgres DB is very huge 108GB.

Jedi
03-24-2013, 12:52 PM
I had problems with HEM1 so restored and deleted a few databases. That was 48GB of database i had lying around.
I just looked at Protgress program and it is 108GB. My SSD is only 240GB so how do i make Protgress smaller as if keeps growing so fast will become a problem soon.

Thanks Jedi....

Jedi
03-24-2013, 01:00 PM
That was in add remove programs says progress 8.4 is 108GB.
But looked on C: information and says 74GB of space is used so can't actually be 108GB or would have more space used on C: ...

Jedi
03-24-2013, 01:07 PM
I just looked at properties of prostgress in program file folders and says it is 20GB.
Is this the size of it 20GB. If so that not to bad but be handy to know how to make it smaller anyways...

Jedi
03-24-2013, 01:53 PM
I deleted all databases i don't use anymore and shaved another 15GB off used space on C: ...

Patvs
03-24-2013, 10:20 PM
add remove programs says progress 8.4 is 108GB

Windows--> Control Panel--> Add/Remove programs is wrong. For some reason Windows can't properly track the PostgreSQL size.

The only diskspace the database is using is the C:/Program Files(x86)/PostgreSQL/data folder. Check what the size is of this folder.

--

HM2 does complicate things by using an additional folder.
For HM2 to track the database size, look at the same C:/Program Files(x86)/PostgreSQL/data folder.
But also add to that... the Windows 7: C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\HoldemManager\ Database folder

jrc4ever
03-26-2013, 12:16 PM
The only diskspace the database is using is the C:/Program Files(x86)/PostgreSQL/data folder. Check what the size is of this folder.

But also add to that... the Windows 7: C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\HoldemManager\ Database folder

Both Folders are empty. Where is my database located??

Using HEM1 with Win7.

Jedi
03-26-2013, 01:03 PM
Ok thanks for reply. Now I deleted old databases Prostgress folder is at 7 GB.
I just remember to delete old databses when i make new ones....

Patvs
03-26-2013, 08:37 PM
Both Folders are empty. Where is my database located??

Using HEM1 with Win7.

For HM1 only look at the: C:/Program Files(x86)/PostgreSQL/data folder.
If that folder is empty, Apparently PostgreSQL is running from a different folder on your computer.
Right-click on the pgadminIII icon's properties to check where it's actually installed to.

jrc4ever
03-27-2013, 03:58 AM
The PgAdmin icon points to that folder.
But the data folder is empty.

The main Postgresql folder Is only 105 MB big.

Where is my db stored?

udbrky
03-27-2013, 06:57 PM
I would use treesizefree to track down your disk space usage.

TreeSize Free - Quickly Scan Directory Sizes and Find Space Hogs (http://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/)

In control panel - administrative tools - services, check the postgresql properties and it will show you the location.

You can also search for postgres on your computer to find it. Have you done a few installations?

jrc4ever
03-28-2013, 01:30 AM
Ok found it. It is 14 GB big on my e: drive.
Is this the reason that it's so slow now?

Shall I try 9.2?

fozzy71
03-28-2013, 05:07 PM
Ok found it. It is 14 GB big on my e: drive.
Is this the reason that it's so slow now?

Shall I try 9.2?

If your SSD is your C drive you should reinstall postgresql to your C drive for optimum performance.

*Please update to the latest beta - http://www.holdemmanager.com/Downloads/HmUpdate_Release_04Mar2013.exe

1) Uninstall PostgreSQL from the Windows Control Panel.
2) Use our combo installer to reinstall PostgreSQL. Make sure you un-check Holdem Manager during installation. http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloads/Holdem_Manager_Setup.exe

The performance difference between our 8.4 and 9.2 is often fairly negligible at best but you can try installing 9.2 if you want since you need to reinstall anyway but the real performance boost will be from getting postgresql off the HDD and on to the SSD.

If that installer fails to install PostgreSQL, please reinstall PostgreSQL using the following instructions:

1) Uninstall PostgreSQL from the Windows Control Panel.
2) run the command - start > programs > accessories > command prompt > right-click > run as administrator

net user postgres /delete

4) reboot.
5) Install PostgreSQL 8.3.9 from this link - http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloads/Postgres_8.3.9-v1.0.7.exe

jrc4ever
03-28-2013, 06:45 PM
But why is it slow on my system?

I know the SSD will improve the speed. But I got a friend, who has a bigger DB, 10 mio hands, on a worse computer system than mine (db on normal notebook HDD) and it still runs smooth...

fozzy71
03-28-2013, 09:46 PM
But why is it slow on my system?

I know the SSD will improve the speed. But I got a friend, who has a bigger DB, 10 mio hands, on a worse computer system than mine (db on normal notebook HDD) and it still runs smooth...

What exactly is slow? You don't really explain much in this thread in terms of what you are experiencing that is slow. Reports are slow to load? Program is slow to switch tabs? Which reports/tabs? We need a lot more information so we can better understand what problems you are experiencing and how to help. What are your system specs in terms of CPU/RAM?

Jedi
03-28-2013, 10:05 PM
Yes put it on SSD it is mental fast does everything in secounds. Imported 1 mill hands on old HDD and take about 4 hours. I do 1 mill hands on SSD take about 10 minutes.

jrc4ever
03-29-2013, 05:16 AM
What exactly is slow? You don't really explain much in this thread in terms of what you are experiencing that is slow. Reports are slow to load? Program is slow to switch tabs? Which reports/tabs? We need a lot more information so we can better understand what problems you are experiencing and how to help. What are your system specs in terms of CPU/RAM?

Ok, my system:
Win7 64-Bit
i7-2600k
8GB Ram
128gb SSD
4TB Intern HDD

The problem:

With my new DB , everything went fine. Zoom worked without lags. Reports speed were ok.
Then I imported my hands from my old computer. It was 2 mio hands. I reimported them in batches. The first batch speed was 90h/sec. Then at the end, the last batches were really slow 5hands/sec :-(
So I vacuumed /analyzed the database as described in the "top 10 performance tips" thread. No change.

And now when playing Zoom, after every other hand, it lags for 1-2 sec. It is just not playable anymore.
It doesnt matter to me, if the reports tabs or hands take slow to load.
But the small lags while playing is very annoying.
I am using the latest internal HM1 Beta with 8.4 on Win7. Priority set on high on the 3 *exe files. Winner columns removed etc. (basically everything what is described in the performance thread)...

thank you

fozzy71
03-29-2013, 10:45 AM
Have you tried moving the database and parent folder to the SSD yet? I would expect that will make huge improvements for those performance issues. Importing speeds and HUD stats retrieval will be significantly faster if the database is on the SSD. A 128 GB SSD should be plenty big enough for a few million hand database.

Here is a FAQ explaining how to move the database and parent folder - http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/1172/Move+Database+to+Another+Hard+Drive+or+Partition

If that is too complicated you can use the steps I posted previously and simply reinstall postgresql to the C drive.

jrc4ever
03-29-2013, 02:05 PM
Ok I did a fresh install...

Importing hands now at 90h / sec...

fozzy71
03-29-2013, 03:50 PM
Ok I did a fresh install...

Importing hands now at 90h / sec...

That sounds better. You shouldn't see nearly the types of slow downs you were seeing with it on the HDD. If you do notice a slow down make sure you run the Maintenance > Full Vacuum option after each large import. This maintenance should be done regularly if you play/import a lot of hands.

Jedi
04-15-2013, 09:16 AM
Oh i that sounds like useful program will try it out.
Put most my bulky stuff on 2TB ... D:
But C: has alot of space used and is hard to find exactly what is using it all...

fozzy71
04-15-2013, 02:05 PM
Oh i that sounds like useful program will try it out.
Put most my bulky stuff on 2TB ... D:
But C: has alot of space used and is hard to find exactly what is using it all...

To find out visually, what is taking up the largest blocks of space on your hard drive, I would suggest you try this free software - WinDirStat - Windows Directory Statistics (http://windirstat.info/)