PDA

View Full Version : Backing up database

Lunatic973
11-24-2010, 12:27 PM
I recently went to back up my database. When I opened up the last file to make sure it had backed up all my hands, the last date it had was Feb. 2010. I'm pretty sure that's about the time that I switched to the postgreSQL 8.4. All the hands since upgrading to 8.4 are showing up in HEM, and I'm able to view them fine. I just want to make sure that I have them all backed up somewhere. Is there a way to get the hands since Feb 2010, and if so how do I get them?

I still have both 8.3 and 8.4 showing up when I go to pgadmin. I've tried getting the ones from 8.4 but it doesn't show any. I tried searching for a number of hands, and it shows up 0.

What I'm looking to do is get all the hands backed up in the same format and in the same location...usb drive, other computer, etc. Is there a way to just back all of them up from HEM. I only have about 165,000 hands so it shouldn't be too much of a pain to do.

Thanks in advance.

Patvs
11-25-2010, 12:24 AM
Which pokersite did you play these hands on?

Did you save/backup your C:/HMArchive folder which should have all the original handhistories (which is more valuable than a exported database/backup databased, in case you ever need to reimport all your hands into a NEW database)

If you play on PokerStars/Full Tilt, they actually save EVERY hand you've ever played, so you can request ALL your hands if you email them.

---

To backup your database. Read: FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Backup & Restore Database (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/72/Backup+%26+Restore+Database)

Lunatic973
11-26-2010, 06:55 PM
I do have the "C:/HMArchive folder"....I guess I was going about it the wrong way. I didn't realize that the folder was the better way to load my hands. So can I simply copy the folder to the new computer and add all my new hand histories to that folder? That way the ones on the new computer and old computer would be in the same location.

Patvs
11-26-2010, 10:11 PM
Yes...

And the alternative to reimporting your archive folder, is reimporting a "exported database", but it's saver to import the original handhistories from your archive folder.

Lunatic973
11-28-2010, 02:20 PM
Since I started a new database on postgreSQL on the new computer. Do I need to import all my hands to that data base? Is there any advantage to doing that? Or is it unnecessary since I have all my hands stored on my hard drive?

netsrak
11-29-2010, 04:28 AM
You need to import the hands into your database to see them and have the stats.
HM doesn't access the files on your hard disk after the import into the database.