PDA

View Full Version : Postgre server simply will not start

hardeerr
11-22-2010, 03:33 PM
Hello,

I successfully used HEM hundreds of times, ending early in 2010. Now I want to use it again but the Postgre server will never start -- it just times out.

I am on XP SP3 and can easily start/stop other services. At one time I installed Postgre 8.4 and it worked fine. I have since uninstalled it ... but 8.3 still won't start. (I've tried rebooting.)

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling 8.3 but that still doesn't help. Did the temporary existence of 8.4 on my system somehow prevent 8.3 from ever starting again? Or is it something else?

I really need some help on this! I will be very grateful....

Thank you,

-Hardee.

Patvs
11-22-2010, 09:41 PM
This is usually a firewall or windows update issue.

First try to reboot.

If no help, try this:

Start > Programs > PostgreSQL > 8.x > Stop Service

Start > Programs > PostgreSQL > 8.x > Start Service

If that doesnt help delete the \postgresql\8.x\data\postmaster.pid file, if you see it. And reboot.

If that doesn't help you will have to reinstall PostgreSQL completely

When installing a different version of SQL, make sure it install to a different PORT number. Default port is 5432, install other versions of SQL to 5433, or 5434, etc.

hardeerr
11-23-2010, 09:37 AM
Thanks Patvs. Unfortunately, I had done all those things several times, including completely removing and reinstalling PostgreSQL.

However, I can't say for sure that when I installed 8.4 I picked a different port number. What would be the after-effects from my having installed 8.4 using the same port number as 8.3, then uninstalled 8.4? Might that have broken 8.3 like this?

Thanks!!

netsrak
11-23-2010, 09:51 AM
Yep, that can happen.

Please schedule a remote support session with our support. Email support@holdemmanager.net, with a link to this thread and your forum name, so we can setup a Teamviewer (http://www.holdemmanager.net/teamviewer) session.

hardeerr
11-23-2010, 12:22 PM
After several more hours of trying to get 8.3 to work, I uninstalled it again, installed 8.4 successfully, then re-imported my hands. There were some older hands that I have thus lost, but I got most of the ones from 2009 and all from early 2010 and am back on my feet.

Ultimately PostgreSQL 8.3 would install but the server would never start. The 8.4 server would start fine, but I couldn't figure out how to open my old database so that's why I made a new one and imported whatever hands I could find. I'd love to learn exactly what I did wrong, but I don't want to spend many more hours or waste HM support's time when I did have a decent workaround.

Curious: would PostgreSQL 9.0.1 have worked too?

netsrak
11-24-2010, 08:45 AM
We don't officially support Postgresql 9.0 but from our tests and from other users trying it we found no problems so far.

The odd thing with Postgresql is that some versions just fail to install or run on some windows configurations while on other systems it works without problems.