PDA

View Full Version : Another db/PostgreSQL problem

LowWater
11-21-2010, 11:38 AM
On trying to open HEM, I received an error message:

“The following error occurred when trying to open the database: Failed to establish a connection to ‘127.0.0.1’.”

Followed by:

“Holdem Manager needs to know where to find the database. Please enter in the details below and click on Connect”

The four fields were properly filled in already and pressing ‘Connect’ failed to rectify the problem, the DB Control Panel telling me:

“A connection to PostgreSQL could not be made. Would you like to have Holdem Manager try to start the service?”

Initially, I declined. Subsequently, I let HEM attempt to start the service. It failed. I’ve imported files from folders and live cash play every day for 15 months. I’ve never seen this error message. This computer is relatively new (1 month). 1 have v1.11.05a. Would upgrading matter at all? Prior to this morning I have enjoyed perfect performance. FWIW, I checked my RAM and HDDs and both were functioning perfectly.

At present I cannot open HEM. I play exclusively on Stars, FR 0.25/0.50.

Helbisch
11-21-2010, 11:42 AM
same problem as i got

LowWater
11-21-2010, 11:45 AM
So I noticed. Let's try and pool our resources. Have you tried anything that you didn't detail in your first post?

Everything I did is in my post. FWIW, I've upgraded to Win7 with my relatively new computer.

Helbisch
11-21-2010, 11:51 AM
i didnt try anything yet, i work with HEM since 2 years and never had a database problem, also im not very good in these things.

maybe its a problem with windows 7,
under xp i have no problems on my old computer...

LowWater
11-21-2010, 12:12 PM
Doubt it. I have 50 hours over the past couple weeks with my new Win7, and saw first this problem this morning when trying to open the application.

What release are you running?

Are you running HEM as an administrator?

netsrak
11-21-2010, 12:30 PM
Solutions:
1. Reboot your computer
2. If that doesn't help look for the hidden system file postmaster.pid in the postgresql data folder, delete it and reboot your computer again.
3. Check the postgresql service in the windows services (control panel->administration). Sometimes it helps to change the Logon As.. to "local system account"
4. Check our FAQ:
FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Can't Connect / Failed to Start PostgreSQL (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/91/Can%27t+Connect+%7B47%7D+Failed+to+Start+PostgreSQ L+)

LowWater
11-21-2010, 12:37 PM
I updated to v1.11.05c. No improvement. I'll search for the file, the hidden system file postmaster.pid in the postgresql data folder. I'm computer illiterate and new to Win7. Can you explain how to look for "hidden system files"?

Thank you for your help.

LowWater
11-21-2010, 12:39 PM
I updated to v1.11.05c. No improvement. I'll search for the file, the hidden system file postmaster.pid in the postgresql data folder. I'm computer illiterate and new to Win7. Can you explain how to look for "hidden system files"?

Reboot didn't help.

Thank you for your concern.

LowWater
11-21-2010, 12:48 PM
deleting postmaster.pid and rebooting did the trick.

Thanks ten thousand times over.

Helbisch
11-21-2010, 01:45 PM
howq can i look for hidden files under win7

Helbisch
11-21-2010, 01:55 PM
ok i found how to show hidden files, but i just see a postmaster.opts file ?!?

LowWater
11-21-2010, 02:01 PM
L click the Start icon, low left corner.

L click Computer

L click Local Disk (C: ) if C is your workstation where your database is.

Enter file name (postmaster.pid) in Search Computer box, upper right with the magnifying glass.

- Sorry it took me so long to get back to you.

Helbisch
11-21-2010, 02:14 PM
thx but i cant find that file 0o
hidden system files are different to hidden files maybe ?

Patvs
11-22-2010, 12:54 AM
Hidden Files are different to Hidden System Files:

to enable the option to see Hidden System Files: How to see hidden files in Windows (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial62.html)
http://rvgsoftware.fileburst.com/images/hidden.jpg

LowWater
11-22-2010, 03:41 AM
Netsrak (or anyone),

It failed again and I'm back to ground zero.

3. Check the postgresql service in the windows services (control panel->administration). Sometimes it helps to change the Logon As.. to "local system account"

Is there another way to express this in Win7 language? I've failed at figuring out how to do this; there's no Administration under Control Panel that I can find. I just migrated from XP to Win7 (and I'm still having the same HEM problems).

LowWater
11-22-2010, 03:58 AM
Please see my original post for the Error Messages.

LowWater
11-22-2010, 04:29 AM
Question: could a hardware failure (RAM, HDD, MOBO) generate those error messages?

netsrak
11-22-2010, 04:34 AM
For windows 7 the easiest is to type services.msc in the program/file search field (Control Panel (classic view) -> Administration -> services should work too).

Sorry but i don't see any error messages. It doesn't seem to be a link.

LowWater
11-22-2010, 04:42 AM
Thanks.

It's not a link. I mistakenly underlined it. It's just my OP in this thread.

LowWater
11-22-2010, 04:56 AM
Under "Local System account", do I "Allow service to interact with desktop"? Also, do I start service from this window or leave it as is?

netsrak
11-22-2010, 05:06 AM
No, thats not necessary.

LowWater
11-22-2010, 05:45 AM
Thanks.

I succeeded in changing:
3. Check the postgresql service in the windows services (control panel->administration). Sometimes it helps to change the Logon As.. to "local system account" but am receiving the same error messages (see OP).

I've read the FAQs but am getting a little bit outside of my comfort zone. Recal that I deleted the postmaster.pid file.

Any suggestions? I do have Skype and TeamViewer. I'm not above paying out bribes.

netsrak
11-23-2010, 06:14 AM
Please schedule a remote support session with our support. Email support@holdemmanager.net, with a link to this thread and your forum name, so we can setup a Teamviewer (http://www.holdemmanager.net/teamviewer) session.

zolicoeur
11-24-2010, 08:38 AM
Hi,

I had some problems with winamax.fr who didn't works with HM. Then, i followed the instructions the support gave me without success. I still had imports errors when the imports succeded with the support database.

You told me to remove my database and i did it taping "net user postgres /del" in DOS.

Now, I have these problems when i launch HM :

"A connection to postgresql could not be made. would you like to have HM attempts to start service ?

sorry, HM was unable to start the service

HM has started the service. please try again."

So, i went on this FAQ :

FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Can't Connect / Failed to Start PostgreSQL (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/91/Can't+Connect+%7B47%7D+Failed+to+Start+PostgreSQL+ )

Then i did everything :

STEP 1 : QUICK SOLUTION --> FAIL (see pictures)

STEP 2 : Make sure (UAC) User Account Control is off before proceeding. See the following links for information about UAC.

UAC is turned off.

STEP 3 : Restart PostgreSQL service & Reboot

Go to Start > Programs > PostgreSQL > 8.x > Stop Service (If its already started)

Then go to Start > Programs > PostgreSQL > 8.x > Start Service

I dont have this PostgreSQL folder in the programs folder. Its located elsewhere. I went there et there no "stop service" folder, and no "start service" folder

If that doesnt help delete the C:\Program Files\postgresql\8.x\data\postmaster.pid file (it may not be there, that is perfectly fine)
Finally, if none of the above works a simple reboot can often resolve the issue

I dont have this file on my computer, and it's still doesnt working.

After deleting everything concerning PostgreSQL, i use the last combo installer and, after creating postgreSQL folder, a message appear : Sorry, could not install PostgreSQL

STEP 4 : uninstalling software security products.

I'm using Avast. It is said that there is no known problem with it, so i dont uninstall it.

STEP 5 :Logon using Local System Account:

I dont have this service in the list.

So, could you help me ?

netsrak
11-24-2010, 09:05 AM
Please schedule a remote support session with our support. Email support@holdemmanager.net, with a link to this thread and your forum name, so we can setup a Teamviewer (http://www.holdemmanager.net/teamviewer) session.
Seems like you already tried the standard solutions

LowWater
11-24-2010, 05:59 PM
Netsrak,

Thanks for all of your effort. I'm still stuck in the mud with a (likely) unrelated RAM dilemma. After I run the diagnostic on that, my video card & CPU, I'll get back in touch.

When it rains, it pours.

zolicoeur
11-24-2010, 06:32 PM
Seems like you already tried the standard solutions

Any help for me ? I can install Teamviewer if you want.

Cisse245
11-24-2010, 07:16 PM
ive the same problem as zolicoeur, everything was fine until now .

I don't know what's the problem !

help us please

netsrak
11-25-2010, 05:16 AM
Please check the things i posted above to repair postgresql.
If you cant figure it out this way please schedule a remote support session with our support. Email support@holdemmanager.net, with a link to this thread and your forum name, so we can setup a Teamviewer (http://www.holdemmanager.net/teamviewer) session.

zolicoeur
11-26-2010, 08:41 PM
I would like to thanks the support for helping me. After a little teamviewer session, they found the mistake !! I can now enjoy HM again :)