PDA

View Full Version : Saving notes all the time to HM 2

allwind
03-16-2013, 02:12 AM
So I have the issue of saving notes to the database all the time. I got NC in HM 2. HM 2 v7697. NC v2.4.5.2.

While the note creation is fast, it pauses when saving the notes. NC spends a lot more time saving the notes, rather than creating the notes. It is causing the overall note creation process to become super slow. So I play hands faster than NC can process notes. When NC is processing notes, HM 2 will be lagging. My computer is not that slow. 2.53Ghz, 5400 hard disk, 8 GB Ram. The note creation used to be processing notes a lot faster.

I would presume you would be interested in some log files for NC. If so, please tell me where to find them.

sreticentv
03-16-2013, 07:57 AM
5400 absolutely is that slow. You can improve saving times by optimizing your postgres NoteCaddy speed improvement - Assaultware Wiki (http://wiki.assaultware.com/NoteCaddy-speed-improvement.ashx) but if you intend to play poker seriously then you need to consider investing in a solid state hard drive

allwind
03-16-2013, 08:47 PM
5400 absolutely is that slow. You can improve saving times by optimizing your postgres NoteCaddy speed improvement - Assaultware Wiki (http://wiki.assaultware.com/NoteCaddy-speed-improvement.ashx) but if you intend to play poker seriously then you need to consider investing in a solid state hard drive

Sreti, It is possible you are right. However, I still have the impression you missed the point. I did not say the note creation itself was slow. I said what was slowing was NC wanting to save the notes all the time. For the most part, depending on the database size, my note creation has been like 100 hands per second. When it all of a sudden went from 80 h/s to 3h/s, then I feel the need to contact support. And please let me repeat myself. The note creation itself is fast, however it is all the saving all the time, which slows down and eat CPU.

I can also assure, that the last 10+ years, in average I have been spending over 1k USD per year on computers. I am pretty sure that is in the top of computer investments for normal people. I am aware that SSD is recommended. I am interested in buying a new computer. However, it is not that easy to get locally. Locally my computers are already considered very fast. So sorry, but I really think you might be having too large expectations about the computers of everybody.

I received a polite reply from the HM 2 support in my email. I will now know how to send you guys NC log files and will send to both of you as soon as I have them.

sreticentv
03-16-2013, 10:23 PM
I didn't miss the point. Saving to the disk is what involves the 5400 hard drive. As you have more data it takes more time to save so it slowing down is normal. Here is the advice I have for you:

-optimize your postgres as I already suggested
-better hardware
-less definitions
-less hands

You can pick as many of those as you want. Realize that having millions of hands + certainly many definitions and severely obsolete hardware is what put you in this situation. I have given you all the information available on how to improve it. I wish you the best of luck. There is no further assistance I can provide you beyond that.