PDA

View Full Version : 32 or 64 bit Windows 7.....

guysml
11-18-2010, 11:49 AM
I am wondering if HEM runs better in a 32 bit or a 64 bit OS, specifically Windows 7. I am aware that a 64 bit OS is required to use more than 4GB of RAM, but are there any other advantages or disadvantages?

If I want the best performance from HEM should I use a 32 or 64 bit copy of Windows 7?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Guy.

Patvs
11-19-2010, 01:33 AM
At the moment there is no real 32 bit vs 64 bit difference, as HoldemManager has little to none specific 64 bit code.
But the programmers are trying to implement 64 bit specific code.

PostgreSQL 9.0 for the first time now has a 32 bit and 64 bit installer. I'm unsure how this currently affects performance, but the PostgreSQL team also plans to add better 64 bit support in this PostgreSQL version.

In the end: If your computer has <3 GB RAM stick to the 32 bit version. (really don't use the 64 bit version of Windows! since a SQL query will use up TWICE the amount of RAM, therefore it really NEEDS more RAM.

If you have >4 GB RAM, run everything 64 bit. (and make sure you now need 64 bit drivers for EVERYTHING: including your videocard, mouse, sound, etc.

guysml
11-19-2010, 03:32 AM
Thanks for your reply, much appreciated. I currently have 4GB of RAM. I have been running 64bit Windows 7, but did have some performance issues when I got a lot of tables going.

It is interesting that there is a totally separate 64 bit installer for PostGreSQL, so perhaps they are starting to optimize the code for 64 bit OS/processors.

If there was a good reason to think that performance would improve using a 32 bit OS, then I would use that. However in light of the fact that I may want to add more RAM in the future and that the PostGreSQL and HEM code may start to take advantage of some features of 64 bit systems, I guess I will stick with 64 bit. For some reason I thought that 64bit systems would be better for running things like databases, but I guess it really depends on how much the code is taking advantage of 64 bit features.

Thanks again for your response,

Guy.