PDA

View Full Version : Can't install HEM/Postsql

mr_grohl
11-17-2010, 01:20 AM
I've just purchased the combo holdem/omaha manager software but I can't seem to install..

My OS is Windows Vista Home Premium

I got the error msg: 'Sorry, could not install PostgreSQL'

In the installer it says; setup not completed successfully and the info has details saying Connection to database failed: connection refused
Is the server running on host '127.0.0.1' and accepting
TCP/IP connections on port 5432?
<--error

BUT, a HEM icon does appear when i close the installer and i get the Postgres login page but fails to establish connection to 127.. and i cant connect to postgreSQL

Note: i used the trial version about 6months ago which i had working for 15 days then i uninstalled and tried removing all the software(maybe something was left?)

Appreciate your help

netsrak
11-17-2010, 04:53 AM
You may already have a running postgresql service from the trial installation. Please check it in the windows services.

mr_grohl
11-17-2010, 09:31 AM
There is no postgresql service running in windows services.

A postgresql user account has appeared when I start my computer though.

mr_grohl
11-17-2010, 11:05 AM
Some new info..

I installed HEM without postgresql succesfully

Then i tried installing postgresql alone but i got the error message saying sorry could not install postgresql.
I can open HEM with the Icon, but im still getting the ''Failed to establish a connection to 127.0.0.1' message, then it takes me to database control panel and connect to postgresql box but it wont connect.

I noticed that I already have PostgreSQL in my program files (x86) folder which remained there after i tried uninstalling it (unistall failed previously)

mr_grohl
11-17-2010, 11:30 AM
this may help, when i used the FAQ about postgresql i tried the stopping and starting postgresql service, but i got this error message

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/Mr_grohl/postgres.jpg

Patvs
11-18-2010, 02:19 AM
delete the postgres user:

click on Start and go to Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt

* If you are on Vista, rightclick and choose "Run as Administrator".

A black box should appear. Type 'net user postgres /del'(without the quotes) and press enter.

The user is now deleted and you can install PostgreSQL.

--

download SQL 9.0.1 and 8.2.x from PostgreSQL: The world's most advanced open source database (http://www.postgresql.org)
Try to install both. Which errors do you get when using the installer from PostgreSQL: The world's most advanced open source database (http://www.postgresql.org?)

mr_grohl
11-18-2010, 08:42 AM
Hi, before you responded I was trying different things and i managed to delete all traces of postgres and installed version 8.3 from postgresql-8.3.msi zip that i found in one of the FAQ's...and my HEM is now working.

Would you suggest I install the latest version of postgreSQL ?

netsrak
11-18-2010, 09:49 AM
never touch a running postgresql installation :)

mr_grohl
11-18-2010, 10:42 AM
oh ok, thanks for your help
hope im not missing out on version 9.0 :);)