PDA

View Full Version : Graph 5M hands

mig5000
11-16-2010, 06:01 PM
Hi,
I would like to know if it's possible to get a graph for 5M + hands ? I have that many hands lifetime but it seems I cannot graph them despire being able to get my data from the main page.

I have windows 7 and 4 gib ram. My database is optimized and etc. I'd like to know if it's possible by tweaking the software (postgre) or getting more RAM or what not..

Thanks

Mig

Patvs
11-16-2010, 11:40 PM
If you're normally displaying TODAY's graph... Or THIS MONTH's graph...
and want to display ALL HANDS (which is 5+ million hands played over the course of 12+ months)

It can take 2-10 MINUTES before it displays the graphs on a slow computer.
Harddisk speed it the main culprit here. The task of displaying the graph is 100%: 4K read speeds.
Read: http://forums.holdemmanager.com/manager-general/11194-top-10-hem-performance-increase-tips.html

mig5000
11-17-2010, 12:15 AM
I have a 1 year old ~ 10k rpm hard disk.
4GM ram

when I try to graph my 5M hand data, I get a out of memory exception. I wouldn't care if It took 10-20 minutes w/e but it sucks I can't graph it... Is there anything I could do to get it to graph my 5M hands data ?

Is there anyway to remove or add length to the timeout thingy ?

Thanks

Patvs
11-17-2010, 12:32 AM
From: http://forums.holdemmanager.com/manager-general/11194-top-10-hem-performance-increase-tips.html

-5 Remove the WinnerName, WinnerCards and WinnerWon from the Hands View Column Selector (http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/2655/removewwwxg8.jpg)

-7 Edit your PosgreSQL.conf file in the SQL 8.x/data folder.
Do not use the Tuning Wizard. On some systems it will make changes to the postgresql.conf it shouldn't, resulting in being unable to connect to the database!
If you experience this problem--> simply go to the 8.4/data folder, and delete postgresql.conf, and rename the backup postgresql.conf.2009(data xxxxxxxx) back to "postgresql.conf" and reboot.
Recommended changes:
shared_buffers = <number> MB (set this to 20% of your system memory, but not more than 1000 MB.... round it off to 128 MB, 256 MB, 512 MB or 768 MB)
effective_cache_size = <number> MB (set this to 2x the size of the shared_buffers)

In postgresql.conf there also are several timeout strings. I notice one #authentication_timeout = 1min # 1s-600s where you could change 600s to 2000s for example. Though I'm unfamiliar with the exact purpose of these timeout strings.

Patvs
11-17-2010, 12:47 AM
Also vacuum/analyse/reindex the database!
And updating SQL might help.
So if you have 8.4.1--> update it to 8.4.5 (or even 9.0.1)
All these things should prevent the timeout error.
---

However it will still take x minutes before the graph is displayed.
Your 10K RPM harddisk will still only have 4K read speeds of 0.8 MB/s.
The 5 millions hands are stored in 4K-512KB pieces. Lets say the average read speed of the data is 10 MB/s
It will take a 10 GB database / 10 MB/s = 1000 seconds to display the graph.

Some SSDs have 40 MB/s 4K read speeds. And average 4K-512KB speeds of 200 MB/s. 20x faster, than any 10k RPM regular drive.

mig5000
11-17-2010, 01:47 AM
Yeah I did all the tweaking prior to posting. Everything mentionned over was done, I even formatted my computer and reinstalled everything.

I'm running the DB on a separate hard drirve to help things up and it seems I can only draw like 2M ish after that I doesn't work. Maybe I should upgrade to 8 GB ram ? Do you know of anyone who has been able to graph more than 5M hands ? I just wanna know if the problem is on my side or what ?

Thanks

The Minder
11-17-2010, 02:15 AM
... Maybe I should upgrade to 8 GB ram ? Do you know of anyone who has been able to graph more than 5M hands ? I just wanna know if the problem is on my side or what ?

Thanks
You'll need to be using a 64bit O/S to make use of memory above 4Gb.

Patvs
11-17-2010, 09:18 AM
Problem is on your side. Other HM users with 5+ million hand databases can display the graph.

Did you add holdemmanager.exe and postgres.exe (and their folders) to the exceptions list of:
Windows Firewall, your antivirus program, Windows Defender?