PDA

View Full Version : Full Tilt Crashing because of HEM

Syracuseball
11-11-2010, 01:16 AM
I'm having problems with Full Tilt. It crashes every time I close it and in the error details it refers to a HEM file called "qtcore4.dll" What can I do to prevent this from happening? Can the file be replaced or deleted?

netsrak
11-11-2010, 05:11 AM
Which HM Version are you using?
Please update to our latest Release 1.11.05b: http://www.holdemmanager.com/Downloads/Hm_1.11.05b.exe

Syracuseball
12-08-2010, 07:47 PM
Still can't figure this out. I updated to the latest version of HEM. E-mailed FTP for support and reinstalled their software. Any idea what could be causing this?

netsrak
12-09-2010, 04:52 AM
Please reboot your computer, download and install 1.11.05d http://www.holdemmanager.com/Downloads/HmUpdate.exe and try again.

If this doesn't help Please attach your holdemmanager.config file from C:\Program Files(X86)\RVG Software\Holdem Manager\Config folder (or something similar depending on your installation). It may be just called holdemmanager if you've extenstions turned off.
Are you using any 3rd party firewall, anti-spyware, adaware, tuning or registry cleaning programs? And if yes which ones?

Veteran68
12-09-2010, 11:51 AM
I'm having problems with Full Tilt. It crashes every time I close it and in the error details it refers to a HEM file called "qtcore4.dll" What can I do to prevent this from happening? Can the file be replaced or deleted?

HEM is developed in .NET and unless it or one of it's components (like Table Selector) use Qt libraries in an effort to better integrate with poker clients, then qtcore4.dll isn't a HEM file. The FT client uses Qt4 as it's cross-platform GUI framework, so I'm not sure why you're seeing it reporting as a HEM problem. Many (most?) HEM users are working with FT without crashing problems, so there is some kind of conflict specific to your system.

Kerith
12-09-2010, 12:49 PM
FYI I also had the problem that the FT client crashed everytime I closed HEM during the last few days but I assumed it would be a problem with the newest client patch since it is a new problem.

Syracuseball
12-09-2010, 12:50 PM
Hm, I've e-mailed FTP and they said that it wasn't a file related to their software. And it's located under C:/Program Files/RVG Software/Holdem Manager. Can I just delete the file and see if it causes any problems for either FTP or HEM? Then restore it if necessary

Syracuseball
12-09-2010, 12:51 PM
Kerith,

Next time FT crashes on you, click the details button and they will show a box with the errors causing it to crash. I'm curious to see if anyone else is having the same error or if the causes are different.

Veteran68
12-09-2010, 05:01 PM
Hm, I've e-mailed FTP and they said that it wasn't a file related to their software. And it's located under C:/Program Files/RVG Software/Holdem Manager. Can I just delete the file and see if it causes any problems for either FTP or HEM? Then restore it if necessary
LOL, typical FT support person having no clue as to the technical specifics of their software. qtcore4.dll IS related to their software -- it's the core graphics library they use to develop the client. Just look in your FT install folder and you'll find it there. Delete it from there, and FT won't run at all.

Why you're seeing it in the HEM folder is a mystery to me, unless you somehow accidently installed or copied FT to the same folder (which, if true, might also explain the instability). However I don't have HEM handy where I am at the moment, so I can't look to confirm. I just know it seems odd for HEM itself to be using Qt4 for anything when it's a .NET WFC app. But it's possible a HEM add-on like TableNinja or Hold'em Vision could, I suppose.

Does anybody else see QtCore4.dll in their HEM folder, or can Roy & Co. confirm they use Qt4 for anything?

Sarek
12-09-2010, 06:49 PM
it is there in my PC
and I did not installed FTP in HM's folder :)

Veteran68
12-09-2010, 09:41 PM
Yeah I just got home and found it myself. I then proceeded to investigate exactly what about HEM uses Qt. As I mentioned before, if HEM was using it at all, I felt it might be for integration with the poker room clients that use Qt4 (which is many of them, it seems), and not for HEM itself which is a .NET/WFC app. That appears to be the case.

I just ran a dependency scan on all EXEs and DLLs in the HEM folder. NONE of the HEM programs themselves are linking directly against Qt4, including HEM, SitNGo Wiz, LeakBuster, etc. Unless they're doing run-time, dynamic binding with LoadLibrary/GetProcAddress and not static linking via import library as most applications do.

But it does appear the support DLLs for the various poker clients do link against the Qt4 libs. I expect for screenscraping/OCRing the clients and/or for HUD overlay support. So far, I found the following support DLLs that depend on QtCore4.dll:

absolute.dll
everest.dll
ftp.dll
ftpv2.dll
HSQt.dll
ip.dll
Library.dll
og.dll
prima.dll
pty.dll
stars.dll

So I stand corrected that Qt is in fact used, albeit indirectly, by HEM.

I still find it funny, though, that FT support said it wasn't part of their software, when it's obviously a very critical part. :)

Anyway, the problem may be that FT is finding the mismatched version being used by HEM (or vice-versa) and there is a conflict (a throwback to the DLL Hell days). Does HEM or FT happen to be in your system path? It shouldn't matter since the local app directory is typically searched first for DLLs, but this is typical of the sorts of problems you get with mismatched libraries.

Syracuseball
12-09-2010, 10:17 PM
How do I check if FT or HEM is in my system path?

Veteran68
12-09-2010, 10:39 PM
How do I check if FT or HEM is in my system path?

I doubt this is the case since neither installer should put it there, but the easiest way to check the whole PATH at once is to open a command prompt (find the icon, or click Start->Run and type cmd and Enter). Then just type path and hit Enter. Look through the paths listed and see if you see HEM or FTs installation folder in there.

From the error you mentioned I would think HEM's would have to come first, since that's the DLL that loaded. But again I'm less inclined to think this is your problem unless your PATH was tweaked manually... and you asking how to check your PATH tells me you didn't do it. :)

Still, the problem is obviously isolated to a minority of systems or the forums would be flooded with complaints. FT and HEM get along fine with me.

netsrak
12-10-2010, 04:36 AM
Please attach your holdemmanager.config file from C:\Program Files(X86)\RVG Software\Holdem Manager\Config folder (or something similar depending on your installation). It may be just called holdemmanager if you've extenstions turned off.

Syracuseball
12-10-2010, 04:39 AM
What do you mean attach? I found the file though

netsrak
12-10-2010, 04:42 AM
When you post a message you have a "attachments" function above the window. Its the paper clip symbol.

Syracuseball
12-10-2010, 04:44 AM
Thanks, here it is.

netsrak
12-10-2010, 04:56 AM
That looks fine for me although you haven't updated to 1.11.05d yet.

Please update, try again and you can try to rename the qtcore4.dll in the HM folder temporary to see if it makes problems or any differences.

Syracuseball
12-10-2010, 05:07 AM
Just downloaded the update, hopefully that will make a difference. I've already moved qtcore4.dll to a different folder though and it just replaces the file after some time.

Syracuseball
12-14-2010, 05:32 PM
I tried renaming the file and everything functions fine but it is still causing FT to crash every time I close out. This bothers me because I lose any player notes that I took during the previous session. Any idea how else I could fix this? I've already reinstalled FT and updated HEM.

Syracuseball
12-28-2010, 05:39 PM
Does anyone else have suggestions on how to fix this? Still a problem every time I log out.

netsrak
12-29-2010, 06:28 AM
Please schedule a remote support session with our support. Email support@holdemmanager.net, with a link to this thread and your forum name, so we can setup a Teamviewer (http://www.holdemmanager.net/teamviewer) session.

Syracuseball
01-12-2011, 05:57 PM
I had a remote session but we were unable to fix the issue because the problem is not with the HEM software. But when I e-mailed FTP for support they offer me absolutely no help. This was their response:

Thank you for contacting Full Tilt Poker Support.

The error message you are recieving indicates the file QtCore4.dll is corrupt or has an issue.
Unfortunately, this file is not a component of the Full Tilt Poker software it is a shared DLL file . As the file in question
is associated with a third party we recommend inputting the file name into an internet search engine to obtain information on how the file can be replaced when corrupt.

Full Tilt Poker provides links to third-party websites and products as a courtesy to our players, and neither endorses nor assumes responsibility for the use of these products or websites,
which are independent of Full Tilt Poker. Please be aware that any information or products mentioned should be used or referenced at your own risk and discretion.

We appreciate yourunderstanding and regret we could not assist further in this case.

Regards,

Robert
Technical Representative
Full Tilt Poker Support

Surely there must be some way to fix this. Can anyone help me?

Veteran68
01-13-2011, 01:36 AM
I don't have an answer for you, but I'm still surprised and a little amused (and dismayed?) that FT support is again implying that the Qt library isn't part of their client software. They are correct that it's a 3rd party DLL, but it is one they use to develop their client GUI and they distribute it with their client.

I don't see where you posted a screenshot or error dump that indicated it was HEM's version of QtCore4.dll that crashed. Can you post that just so we can see some confirmation? In fact if you could capture the contents of the dump file itself (if this is a crash dialog and not just a message box error, I believe Windows will offer to save the crash dump for you), attach it -- I'd like to take a look at the stack trace.

If it is in fact HEM's version of the DLL, then FT is correct that they cannot support it. Just because you guys couldn't reproduce or fix it during the remote session doesn't mean it isn't a bug in how HEM is calling the DLL. However, given how rare the issue is (the vast majority of us don't have the problem, using the same software and DLLs), it's obvious to me that there's something specific to your system that's causing this. Environmental issues that trigger software bugs can be notoriously hard to track down, and without a debug trace running when it happens, it's even more difficult.

Why don't you try this: here are links to the QtCore4.dll's from my PC, both FT's and HEM's. They are different versions -- HEM is using v4.5.2.0 while FT is using v4.6.3.0. These are guaranteed to work (on my PC) so they won't be corrupt. Backup/rename these existing files in your FT and HEM folders, and replace them with these respectively, renaming them both to QtCore4.dll when you do (i.e. remove the FTP_ and HEM_ from the filenames).

FTP_QtCore4.dll (http://www.morrisonline.us/poker/qt4core/FTP_QtCore4.dll)
HEM_QtCore4.dll (http://www.morrisonline.us/poker/qt4core/HEM_QtCore4.dll)

If that doesn't fix your problem, you know the issue isn't in the DLLs themselves, but something in how they're being used. Again, I would suspect an environmental influence (something on your system that is causing a conflict or corruption of memory/data).

If that DOES fix your problem, you might try restoring the original DLLs one at a time to see if it was the FTP or HEM DLL that was bad (or you could just replace them one at a time with mine, same difference).

morny
01-13-2011, 11:48 AM
Yeah i done the remote session, when it crashes its a full tilt crash error and it references the dll but not the location, i doubt it very much it would reference a HM file in a full tilt crash error message as that wouldn't make sense that they were using our dll. I tried testing by deleting HM's dll and it had no effect and everything worked fine, as soon as i deleted full tilts dll it insta crashed when i tried to run it again reference the dll and saying it was missing.

If it was our dll causing the issue we could get you a debug version but since its full tilt's theres not a lot we can do on our end. Hopefully the veterans file's will help fix the problem but i would suspect it wont since a reinstall of full tilt didn't work and it would have created the same dll.

If theres anything full tilt want us to do on our end well be happy to help but i suspect there isnt anything we can do, the most logical step i would have thought was if they provide a debug version to narrow down the problem. I would also suggest posting a screenshot of the full tilt crash error and a screenshot of the dll in their full tilt folder

Veteran68
01-13-2011, 03:39 PM
If it was our dll causing the issue we could get you a debug version but since its full tilt's theres not a lot we can do on our end. Hopefully the veterans file's will help fix the problem but i would suspect it wont since a reinstall of full tilt didn't work and it would have created the same dll.
The Qt library is open source, anyone can download the debug versions of the DLLs. I wonder if replacing these with (renamed or symlinked) debug versions would provide any extra symbol information in the crash dump or post-mortem debugger? Might be a shot in the dark worth trying. If I had a crash dump with stack trace, I could also try running the DLL through IDA to see if I could spot any clues from the disassembly.

Do you guys have a contact you work with at FT, on the more technical/software side? The responses from FT in this thread have been a joke, and obviously not written by a development team (or if so, they're playing dumb and diverting responsibility). Since from your observation this is crashing in FT's DLL, then obviously they are responsible for support. They provide the DLL with their client, so they're responsible for supporting it with their customers. To suggest a customer should be debugging this or Googling for answers themselves because "it's a 3rd party component," is ridiculous. It's an integral component of FT's software.

OP, can you reproduce this crash when HEM is not running? If you can totally isolate it from HEM, it would be best not to even mention HEM in future support contacts with FT -- it will just give them another excuse to point the finger at another product.

magtune
03-29-2011, 02:10 PM
any solution on this matter yet?
I'm having the same problem. FT crashes when I close down HEM.

Syracuseball
03-29-2011, 02:15 PM
Think it was an issue with Table Scan Turbo, not HEM. I stopped using it and everything seems to be working fine. No idea why the FTP crash report pointed to HEM as the issue but HEM has been working great for me, no problems there.

magtune
03-29-2011, 02:21 PM
Hmmm, I'm not using Table Scan Turbo, so that can't be the problem

netsrak
03-30-2011, 03:48 AM
You should try to reinstall the FTP client and Holdemmanager