PDA

View Full Version : HEM slowing computer to a crawl

NightTrain87
02-28-2013, 05:24 PM
Hey, i was hoping you might be able to help with the issue im having. My computer can handle 30+ tables with skype + internet+ videos no problem, but as soon as i load HEM it starts lagging even with only 5 tables stacked. After reading through an old piece of advice in the forum i checked the event viewer log and noticed that PostgresSQL is showing an error message approximately every minute while running. There are a handful of different errors occuring, many of which involve mention of "compressed data is corrupt." While im not sure what that means, it doesnt sound very good.

I'm including the event log file for the last day or so. There are 689 errors showing, and while not all are from postgres, the majority are. Thank you in advance for any help you might be able to provide.

Patvs
02-28-2013, 06:37 PM
Which Operating System, Firewall, and Anti-Virus are you using?

Which PostgreSQL version are you using?
Approximately how big is your database, what are your computer specs: CPU, RAM, harddisk? (what type of harddisk is it 5400 RPM HDD, 7200 RPM HDD, or SDD?)

Read:
http://forums.holdemmanager.com/manager-general/11194-top-10-hem-performance-increase-tips.html

NightTrain87
02-28-2013, 07:22 PM
I'm using a pretty good(i think) laptop on Windows 7, using AVG firewall and anti-virus(the problem does not improve when i disable these)

I'm using postgres 8.4 and have the latest HEM1 update 1.12.10b
The HM Archive folder where all my hands go is showing a size of 300MB

CPU: Intel Core i7 720QM @ 1.60GHz
RAM: 6.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 528MHz
Harddisks: Two 500GB 5400RPM SATA Drives, One has all my stuff on it(350GB in use) and the other is basically empty(<50GB in use). Would it speed things up if i ran the database on the almost empty harddisk?

I read through the FAQ which was great and gave some options, but it was a little overwhelming to me and im not sure what i should try first. Any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Patvs
02-28-2013, 07:33 PM
The mostly likely cause of the lag is a combination of PostgreSQL, with your 'slow' harddisk.
PostgreSQL will basically transform your computer into a server, so it's essential no program (firewall/antivirus) is blocking or even monitoring the server.

For W7 and Vista you must set \holdem manager\dbcontrolpanel .exe, holdemmanager.exe and hmhud.exe are started as administrator. Run the windows explorer and navigate to your Holdemmanager installation directory. Right click the executables and select properties... then select "Run as admin" from the compatibility tab.

Add exceptions to the windows firewall for holdemmanager.exe and hmhud.exe, even if the firewall is turned off. (turn it on! so you can set the exceptions). Also set exceptions for port 5432, pg_ctl.exe and postgres.exe (in the PostgreSQL/8.4/bin folder)

Since you have 6 GB RAM, try installing PostgreSQL 9.2 x64 (64 bit) on port 5433 and use that instead: PostgreSQL: The world's most advanced open source database (http://www.postgresql.org).

Next go over every step of the
http://forums.holdemmanager.com/manager-general/11194-top-10-hem-performance-increase-tips.html FAQ.
And yes... if the laptop has two harddrives (it has two internal hard drives??) install the database on the second drive.
So Windows in on one.. and the PostgreSQL database on the other.
To move your existing database: http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/368/MoveDatabaseToAnotherHardDriveOrPartition
(but it may be easier to just install 9.2 on the other drive, and reimport your hands into a new database)

NightTrain87
02-28-2013, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the reply, i will try all of that. So far i have added all of the exceptions except for port 5432, which i havent been able to locate. I will keep looking for it but if you happen to know what folder its in that would help.

And yea i do have 2 internal hard drives, a little bit surprising for a laptop maybe but its a pretty decent(although a few years old) laptop.

NightTrain87
02-28-2013, 10:39 PM
Disregard the last post, figured it out.