PDA

View Full Version : Do i need a dedicated video card for HEM and is 7200RPM a must?

Drew1
11-06-2010, 03:08 AM
Will run 20 tables on the laptop with HEM and TN on.

The laptop that i want to buy is an Asus U45Jc-A1

Amazon.com: ASUS U45JC-A1 14-Inch Thin and Light Laptop - Up to 10 Hours of Battery Life: Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-U45JC-A1-14-Inch-Light-Laptop/dp/B003WIYMA6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1289027117&sr=1-1)

I wanted to know is 7200RPM a must for HEM without lagging? This laptop is 5400rpm only and i think i will buy this laptop off a site where i can customize it and get 7200rpm but just wanted to know if there are people here who can 20 table on a laptop with no lag with HEM and TN on with a 5400rpm hard drive. This laptop is an i3 processor so i am pretty sure it is good enough.

Someone mentions to me that i probably don't even need a dedicated graphics card since i only play online poker with HEM/TN on and no games whatsoever. Is this statement true?

All i will do is 20 table with HEM/TN on, hear music, web browse and maybe rarely watch a movie. I don't play any games at all.

Thanks.

Patvs
11-06-2010, 10:34 PM
Nvidia G310M Graphics Engine with 1GB DDR3 Dedicated VRAM videocard is fine.

Lagging caused by the videocard, is a very rare performance issue, when people are using an upgraded desktop, that still has an ancient onboard graphics chip.
With ANY <5 yrs old Nvidia/Radeon chip (whether onboard, or a special card, including the SIMPLEST models) there will be no issues.

5400 RPM vs 7200 RPM is a different problem.
For MOST players 5400 RPM is fine. Even when 20-tabling!

The lag issue only comes up, when the database reaches 2+ million hands, and you're only playing ONE type of SNG / cashgame, where you want the stats to be based on ALL hands in your database. (so this also happens to players that only 1-table but have millions of datamined hands)

Another lag issue will be, when you want to view "last years graph", or "this month" and you have a large database (hands YOU played) where you play many (50k+) hands a month. Viewing such a graph can take a long time. (i.e. minutes) And when this happens, you shouldn't switch the graph-view WHILE playing a session, since your computer can freeze for a couple of minutes.