PDA

View Full Version : Would this laptop be too slow to run 24 tables with HEM and TN on?

Drew1
10-28-2010, 08:22 PM
Amazon.com: Acer Aspire AS5251-1805 15.6-Inch Laptop (Black): Electronics: Reviews, Prices & more (http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-AS5251-1805-15-6-Inch-Laptop/dp/B003NE5K50/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1288310985&sr=1-1)

soche
10-28-2010, 10:02 PM
Amazon.com: Acer Aspire AS5251-1805 15.6-Inch Laptop (Black): Electronics: Reviews, Prices & more (http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-AS5251-1805-15-6-Inch-Laptop/dp/B003NE5K50/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1288310985&sr=1-1)

If you end up with a single core (which the above acer is i believe) you will likely end up disappointed due to lagging.

I run this laptop:

Product Specifications HP Pavilion dv7-2111us Entertainment Notebook PC - HP Customer Care (United States - English) (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01817174&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&site=null&lang=en&product=4014960&key=null)

and this desktop:

HP Pavilion Elite HPE-250f Desktop PC Product Specifications HP Pavilion Elite HPE-250f Desktop PC - HP Customer Care (United States - English) (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&docname=c02103282&product=4196145)

I do not 24 table, but I do 6-12 table and I run HEM, ninja, IE, Skype, and autohotkey.

On this performace level of laptop (my HP) there are times it will "very slightly" lag with all of this running. I cannot tell you how annoying it is when I am trying to make quick button clicks when multi tabling and experience "any" lag at all. This is most tilt inducing and i would not recommend it.

This is why I play mainly on the desktop above and experience "zero" lag even when running camtasia simultaneously.

I would recommend at least a 2 core processor and would prefer a 4 core processor with lots of ram. But, ultimately, it comes down to preference and budget. At least you know what is coming if you end up with too little processing power and ram. I assume you already have a solution to screen size when 24 tabling? I personally run 2 28 inch monitors and tile, but to each his own.

gl

soche
10-28-2010, 10:14 PM
One more thing. I notice acer tries to market this laptop as an "everyday multitasking" computer, which, it probably is. However, what you propose to do with your computer is much more intensive than everyday multitasking and will likely push this computer beyond its limits very quickly. I am not a computer expert and my desktop listed above may be over kill, but i am fine with a little over kill.

This does push the price up a bit. If you want to get set up well at a cheaper price that may well be possible. I would recommend posting in 2+2 and asking for help there as well. There are some very smart and helpful people over there who could send you in the right direction.

Drew1
10-29-2010, 03:26 AM
They keep closing my thread on 2 plus 2 so i'm looking for help here.

Would you say getting a 13.3 or 14.1 laptop be fine even though i will be 20 tabling them ? I will play on desktop 95 percent of time. Laptop only for when i travel and i RARELY TRAVEL.

The Minder
10-29-2010, 03:42 AM

Would you say getting a 13.3 or 14.1 laptop be fine even though i will be 20 tabling them ? I will play on desktop 95 percent of time. Laptop only for when i travel and i RARELY TRAVEL.

This is ridiculous... no wonder 2+2 keep closing your thread.

soche
10-29-2010, 04:21 PM

Is this some sic level???

Just in case it's not I will attempt a serious answer...

If you are stacking 20 tables then (assuming 13.3/14.1 to be screen size) I would say fine, use any size you wish.

Just get the smallest one with sufficient power.

Maybe you would have more luck on 2+2 if you were very specific about what you are trying to do in the first place.

This is what I get for trying to be helpful. Nice level op.

Drew1
10-31-2010, 04:47 AM
No i am not leveling.

Hey, I do not want to do anything to the tables at all. I basically will let all the tables load itself and won't move any of the tables nor change its size. This is what i did on my old laptop. If i ran 20 tables, the tables would all overlap each other because each table was pretty big on my 15.4 laptop. Once 2 tables loaded, it overlapped which was fine. It has 1280x800 resolution so i am pretty sure you guys know how it looked.

I was told this was a mix of stacking and tiling? I am pretty sure this is not stacking since i tried the option of stacking and tiling and its different. But if i were to play 20 tables the way i described as above as how i will play, then 13.3 and 14.1 should be okay right? I mean the way that i was playing on my laptop is a bit like stacking except i know its much easier to click on another table to check it out as oppose to stacking. I am not sure if i'm phrasing my last few sentences right but i think you guys know what i mean?

I didn't want to get another 15.6' laptop because that is kinda big.

But i am getting lot of feedback here so i'm very happy now. But if i do get the laptop with a 5400rpm... which most 13.3 and 14.1 have.... the smart thing would be then to buy a hard drive with 7200rpm and put that in right? I know there is a huge difference between a 13.3 and 15.6' laptop and the same with a 14.1 and 15.6 laptop. But would you say i would be sacrificing too much choosing the 13.3' as oppose to the 14.1'? I seen how these laptops look before but never ran a poker table on it because stores like best buy etc don't allow you do to download pokersites in it because its gambling so i wanted advice.

Thanks.

soche
10-31-2010, 06:23 PM
I have no experience with small screens. Yes, a 7200 rpm HD will work better due to the HD speed when working with datamine software such as HEM or PT3, but I cannot tell you any differences in screens or hard drives since i have only used larger screens in a tiled setup and only used a 7200 rpm hard drive.

If you require further help, you should be very specific as to what you want answered in your questions on both HEM and 2+2 forums as this will likely lead to people being a little more willing to help you.

gl