PDA

View Full Version : ReInstall HEM and Postgres

ThePudel
10-28-2010, 02:50 PM
Hello

I would like to reinstall all this and just wnted to ask you with all the different links that might be important for this proccess. Every time when I have done that I had problems because of some random stuff that I didnt realize that I have to do in the first place.
I have I guess like 6 databases (two of them are empty) and I want to keep only one so the only thiing I have to do is export all hands and reimport them to keep the database right?
Also this is somewhat of a bugreport or something like this but the reason I want to reinstall everything is mainly because every time I start HEM I need to disconnect from internet and shut down kaspersky. Then it will show that Postgres has not been started and asks me to start it. I click yes and I am able to start HEM. THIS WORKS ONLY RIGHT AFTER I STARTED OR RESTARTED MY LAPTOP! If I have been working on my laptop for like 20 minutes or whatever and want to start HEM then there is a window that Postgres could not be started after I click to start it. I can try it again and again but it will only work right after a restart of my Laptop. This is kinda of annoying. Fixing this would be pretty nice. So I would like to ask if you can give me some tips (or stickys) I have to keep in mind while installing it all over again regarding my Kaspersky/Postgres issue. I am running on Vista btw. Also how do I have to uninstall Postgres the right way? I think to remember that it is somewhat of a complicated situation. I appreciate your help very much
I think this is it for now. I am going to the gym for a short workout and will read this again when Im back. Maybe I have something to add.

Thank you very much.

loustic
10-28-2010, 04:13 PM
You obviously have an issue with Kaspersky, because Postgresql service should always be running, connected on the internet or not.

I don't have Kaspersky, is it just antivirus, or the whole security package with firewall ?

If you have the firewall, look at all the rules that could be present in the firewall settings, regarding PostgreSQL, and Holdem Manager.

If you find any rule in the firewall for these 2 apps, just delete them.

Then, launch Holdem Manager, launch the backup/restore utility and make a backup of the databases you want to keep.

Maybe all these problems have started because by mistake, the first time that PostgreSQL tried to access the network, Kaspersky asked you if you wanted to allow or block the traffic, and you chose block, with the remember box checked.

Also, I would recommend that you make another save of your databases with PgAdmin III (Start Menu / PostgreSQL / PgAdmin III)
You put your password to access the server, right click each database you want to save, and save them in a secure location.

When it's done, uninstall completely PostgreSQL, and reinstall it with this release:
https://www.enterprisedb.com/getfile.jsp?fileid=1528

During install, if Kaspersky asks you anything for PostgreSQL, it's trying to block it, so answer you want to allow the traffic for PostgreSQL, and make sure you fill the box which will remembers this action.

When install is done, open Holdem Manager. It won't find any database attached to the server, so it will create a new one.

When you will be in Holdem Manager again, launch the restore utility, and restore the database that you've backup before.

loustic
10-28-2010, 04:17 PM
Maybe all these problems started because one of the 1st time PostgreSQL tried to access the network, it asked you what to do (allow or block the traffic), and you answered block, with the box "remember action" checked.

So, if you find in Kaspersky settings that there are some rules to block PostgreSQL and/or Holdem Manager, by removing them you could also make all that working without uninstalling anything :)

ThePudel
10-28-2010, 04:20 PM
Jeah I thought that might be somewhat of the case. However I just figured out how to block/allow stuff on kaspersky a couple weeks ago :D I guess I will take a closer look at this and try to allaw all the sql/HEM stuff...

loustic
10-28-2010, 04:27 PM
Here are the apps allowed in my firewall, maybe it can help you.

If you find any of them blocked in your settings, just allow it ;)

\PostgreSQL\8.4\bin\pg_ctl.exe
\PostgreSQL\8.4\bin\psql.exe
\PostgreSQL\8.4\bin\pgadmin3.exe
\PostgreSQL\8.4\bin\pgdump.exe
\HoldemManager\HoldemManager.exe
\HoldemManager\DbControlPanel.exe
\HoldemManager\HMImport.exe
\HoldemManager\HMBackup.exe

ThePudel
11-02-2010, 10:02 AM
Ok so I tried to fix it but I failed obv. And now because of my Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 was running out I got the new one which is 2011. I cant even start HEM right now no matter what I do.
Should I now try this:
http://forums.holdemmanager.com/manager-general/8261-still-cant-connect-posgresql-try.html

or reinstall holdemmanager as I dont care that much what happens with my databases? I mean it would be nice to safe one from party but I only am going to play there like 10k hands for bonus releasing and quit this shitty site moving to stars so what do you think?
If I uninstall kaspersky now and also uninstall HEM and every SQL stuff I got here and start by installing HEM first and installing kaspersky only when HEM is working.
This should be the best option right?

netsrak
11-02-2010, 01:04 PM
There is no need to uninstall HM, its just Postgresql causing the problems.

Uninstall Kasperky, reboot and if Postgresql still is not working download and install version 8.4 from PostgreSQL: The world's most advanced open source database (http://www.postgresql.org).

When you install kaspersky please check our FAQ: FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Using Kaspersky Internet Security 2010? (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/127/Using+Kaspersky+Internet+Security+2010%3F+)

ThePudel
11-03-2010, 07:40 AM
Acha ok thank you for that. However when I uninstall Kaspersky how should I know it SQL is working after rebooting? I thought there was no 100% way to test it without HEM.
Also can you please tell me if there is anything to look out for when uninstalling SQL?
And last one is I am running psql 8.3 right now. On your link where I can download it there is a 8.4 and a 9.0 version to download. Just to get this clear you want me to try the 8.4 not the 9.0 right?

Thank you for your support netsrak

netsrak
11-03-2010, 12:33 PM
1. Uninstall Kaspersky
2. Reboot your computer
3. Check in the windows services whether the postgresql service is running (start->run->services.msc or via control panel->administration)
4. If the postgresql service is running try to connect via pgadminIII

5. If that fails try to reinstall 8.3: http://www.enterprisedb.com/join-dev-community.do?fileid=1536

ThePudel
11-03-2010, 04:25 PM
OK I will do this. I will let you know what happens.

ThePudel
11-08-2010, 10:11 AM
Hello

I just wanted to say that I only have done that today. And that its working perfect again withouthaving to stop kaspersky/internet before launiching HEM.
I just wanted to thank you for the very nice support.