PDA

View Full Version : Should I import from archive?

johnnycakes
10-26-2010, 03:50 PM
So, the power went out at my house while I was playing (and importing into HEM). Power came back on. CHKDSK ran.

I fire up my poker software and HEM doesn't seem to have any hands in the database.

I searched and found that this is a known occurrence due to the CHKDSK running.

My question is: What steps should I take now?

I do have my hand histories archived.

Should I just click "Import From Folder" and select the folders in the archive?
If I do that, will HEM archive the hand histories? I don't want them double-archived, obviously.

Should I run Vacuum/Analyze or Optimize on the database first? Or is there no chance this will get my hands back?

Thanks!

loustic
10-26-2010, 04:30 PM
Hello,

- have you done a backup of your database recently (via PgAdmin or via Holdem Manager backup/restore utility ?

If you've done one recently, just restore it.

- have you several databases ? Maybe you're not connected to the good one. You can change database in "Options / Database Management"

- you can try to browse your database with PgAdmin III (in the PostgreSQL startup menu). Use the + to expend "Schemas", "public", "tables")

You have a table "handhistories", right click on it, visualize data, visualize all lines. You will know if there are any hand histories in that database or not.

But you may have some and still have a damaged or corrupted database. That's why you should definitely backup your database regularly.

- Vacuum/Analyse can not make things worse, so you can try.

- You won't have double archives if you make a "import files" or "import from folder", as the archive is just used with "Auto Import"

- If you plan to make an import of your hand histories, I suggest you do it in a new database, to avoid recurrent problems.

johnnycakes
10-26-2010, 04:37 PM
Do I need to create a new database?

I have this going on :

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/1200/hm1x.jpg
http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/4192/hm2a.jpg
http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/8820/hm3e.jpg

johnnycakes
10-26-2010, 04:42 PM
Hello,

- have you done a backup of your database recently (via PgAdmin or via Holdem Manager backup/restore utility ?

If you've done one recently, just restore it.

- have you several databases ? Maybe you're not connected to the good one. You can change database in "Options / Database Management"

- you can try to browse your database with PgAdmin III (in the PostgreSQL startup menu). Use the + to expend "Schemas", "public", "tables")

You have a table "handhistories", right click on it, visualize data, visualize all lines. You will know if there are any hand histories in that database or not.

But you may have some and still have a damaged or corrupted database. That's why you should definitely backup your database regularly.

- Vacuum/Analyse can not make things worse, so you can try.

- You won't have double archives if you make a "import files" or "import from folder", as the archive is just used with "Auto Import"

- If you plan to make an import of your hand histories, I suggest you do it in a new database, to avoid recurrent problems.

I do have a database for each year (and I'm looking at the correct one). I have not been good about backing up. I think I'm just going to have to create a new database and re-import my hands and be better about regularly backing up in the future.

Thanks for the reply.

loustic
10-26-2010, 06:38 PM
It seems that you have 2014 hands for the selected player, is there anything wrong with that ?

johnnycakes
10-26-2010, 07:35 PM
It seems that you have 2014 hands for the selected player, is there anything wrong with that ?

Yes, when you consider the other two images.

It says I have 2014 hands on him. But then the report only shows 23 (all hands, no filter). And the HUD shows 0 hands and won't update.

morny
10-26-2010, 08:16 PM
Are you sure there isnt a filter on, did you check the Omaha HM filter, then go to filter > clear and filter > use for all and if the problem persists try following Loustic's instructions and vacuum the database but if that doesnt work can you create a new database FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Create / Delete Database (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/75/Create+%7B47%7D+Delete+Database) and go to your archive folder (C:/HMarhive is the default folder but you might have changed it) and import all those hands and it should recover the hands

johnnycakes
10-26-2010, 10:06 PM
Filter definitely off. (played a few hands with him that got imported since the first pics).
http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/3115/hm4i.jpg

Running "Optimize" now.

If it doesn't work, I'll make a new database and know better for next time.

Thanks for the replies

loustic
10-26-2010, 11:57 PM
Just to put aside that possibility...

You could see that kind of results if you're browsing the Cash Game reports, and have 84 hands with that player.

And most of this player hands are actually tournament hands, so you would have 1941 hands for r1bera in the tourney reports, all filters off.

Or the opposite (84 hands in the tourney reports, 1941 in the cash game ones).

Because when you select your player with the search feature, it brings back to you the total hands played (tourneys+cash game)