PDA

View Full Version : 1.11.05 HMHUD.exe crashing when playing Rush cash

SteveCut
10-26-2010, 12:35 PM
I delayed upgrading because I thought this bug from the betas probably hadn't been fixed. Sure enough it hasn't. The bug is as reported for the late betas (FTP client freezes, HMHUD.exe hogs processor; fix: kill HMHUD and FTP is responsive.) I run XP.

If anyone else has this problem I recommend rolling back to 1.11.05 beta8 where it occurs very infrequently.

B-Money
10-26-2010, 03:38 PM
If someone else has this issue please post a +1 or something.

Steve, to be perfectly honest we haven't seen any widespread reports about this issue and it's currently not on any internal Todo lists. Biggest open rush issue we have is some people have no HUD. Right now we think that's a firewall issue because a test .exe we ran on someone's PC with this issue had Norton delete the test .exe that was pinging the windows user folder. Since Rush uses this folder as well we think its a firewall issue. We're still working on narrowing that issue down. Customer wouldn't let us remove Norton so this is all we got for that.

CPU load time on HMHUD suggests its working too hard obviously. Most common reason for this is import folders and HM Archive folders looping. I'm pretty sure you're a power HM user and have double checked this. If you have anything to add, please let us know. My guess is it's a local setting. If you downgrade is it fixed? If so, what old version fixes this for you?

-B

Update: I see you say Beta 8 has this happen "Infrequently." Having it happen at all is not good. If you have anything else to add please let us know.

SteveCut
10-26-2010, 05:19 PM
HMHUD is not thrashing the CPU normally. That's just the behaviour it exhibits when it hangs the FTP client. CPU usage just jumps suddenly from minimal up to excessive usage. The reason FTP hangs though is not because it's being deprived of the CPU (I still have 50% capacity), but something else that HMHUD does when this happens.

It could be that some users don't realise that HMHUD is causing FTP to hang? I've seen a lot of reports elsewhere lately (e.g.2+2) complaining that FTP keeps hanging on them. This is exactly how this problem would look to users who don't know how to delve deeper.

Anyway we'll see if anyone else posts here.

Do you have, or can you build a debug version of the Rush DLL and HMHUD that I could run? I suspect that the DLL may be the culprit.

B-Money
10-26-2010, 06:30 PM
Currently I don't have a rush debug.dll that would spit out crash info. General HM logging might do this. Let me get the other tech support guys involved here since they deal with these types of issues the most.

If we get nowhere I'll give you the debug.dll I do have right now and you can send the file it spits out after FTP hangs. I'll send it now via PM with instructions.

-B

morny
10-26-2010, 07:02 PM
Hi,

If we have an issue with full tilt theres usually going to be a bunch of threads and lots of emails and i havent been noticing that. It may have been a setting or update that introduced this bug for you and possibly some other people but its certainly not widespread. If you can follow these instructions for us it would help a lot to narrow down the problem. If you dont complete a step for any reason please let us know. Generally you should make 1 change below and try it for a while and see if it solves the issue and if not move onto the next one.

Can you make sure your Opacity slider in Hud options > Player Preferences> Appearance TAB is 100% to the right and also do the same for the mucked cards Opacity

Also keep task manager running and have it sort by CPU in the Processes TAB and see what is using the most CPU when the lagging happens.

Try disabling as many programs as possible such as AHK scripts,Firewall, limewire,Mikogo etc and Antiviruses and if they cant be disabled make sure you add all these programs to the exceptions list such as HMhud.exe,DBcontrol panel.exe and holdemmanager.exe from the Holdem Manager folder aswell as any of the other programs that happen to be running, sometimes for example the antivirus/firewall etc scan every file thats been processed and it can slow things down so running with as few programs as possible. This is the most common culprit and its usually a combination of 2 or more programs that can cause the issue rather than 1 specific program.

Rule out corrupt config files as the problem
Some times a corrupt prefs.xml file or holdemmanager.config file can cause Holdem Manager or the hud to crash. To rule this out we install the default prefs.xml file and holdemmanager.config file.

First close Holdem Manager and go to C:/Program Files/RVGSoftware/HoldemManager and make copies of the prefs.xml file and holdemmanager.config file, then delete the originals. Once you do this restart Holdem Manager and it will create default holdemmanager.config and prefs.xml files and if this fixes the crashing problem then we can assume it was one of those 2 files were corrupt. In that scenario we would need to re-configure our import folders and hud settings and use the new default ones.

If however it doesn't fix the issue we can just replace the defaults with our copies by closing HM, deleting the prefs.xml file and the holdemmanager.config file and renaming the 2 copies to prefs.xml and holdemmanager.config and rebooting HM and all our settings will be returned.

Rule Out Firewalls/Antiviruses
Sometimes firewalls can prevent access to a file that HM needs to run and thus causing it to crash, unfortunately disabling the firewall doesn't always fix the issue. See these two FAQ's on how to remedy that.
FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Software Security Problems (Firewall) (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/339/Software+Security+Problems+%28Firewall%29)
FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Windows Firewall / Defender Problems (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/275/Windows+Firewall+%7B47%7D+Defender+Problems)
It can be easy to pass this off and say it didnt happen before but has been the cause on several occasions

Also going to control panel > Admin Tools > Event Viewer and copy and paste any description if there are any error or information events that coincide with the time of the lagging.

Go to Hud Options > Site Options and disable all the prefetch/track live hands options for all the sites.

Disable Aero and choose the standard/default theme On Vista or Windows 7
Disable Aero on Windows 7 or Vista - How-To Geek (http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-aero-on-windows-vista/)

Disable or Reduce Hardware Acceleration
Hardware Acceleration can solve issues with graphics and crashing issues, depending on your graphics card driver Windows 7 and Vista users may not be able to disable this. Click here to see how to do this.

Lastly make sure your graphics driver is up to date as this can make a big difference to lagging even with a brand new PC.
FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: How To Update Your Graphics Card Driver (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/362/How+To+Update+Your+Graphics+Card+DriverOn)

If none of the above work
Enable Logging
Please go to Hud Options > Table Preferences and enable logging. Then recreate the crash and then go to C:\Program Files\RVG Software\Holdem Manager\Logs and send us the log.txt file with details of whats happening to support@holdemmanager.net and a link to the thread you made

Ill be on the forums in a while and ill keep an eye out for other reports of this, if we have a couple of people with the issue it should be easier to narrow down the cause but you do see a couple of lagging issues daily and the vast majority are solved by one of the above solutions

lock
10-26-2010, 07:51 PM
+1

mine was working then jsut started crashing tonight. Even after reboot.

Playing rush cash

morny
10-26-2010, 10:27 PM
what version were you using, did it crash, if so sounds like a different issue as OP reported freezing not crashing. Did you go through all the steps above?

strannikspb
10-27-2010, 01:18 PM
Biggest open rush issue we have is some people have no HUD. Right now we think that's a firewall issue because a test .exe we ran on someone's PC with this issue had Norton delete the test .exe that was pinging the windows user folder. Since Rush uses this folder as well we think its a firewall issue. We're still working on narrowing that issue down. Customer wouldn't let us remove Norton so this is all we got for that.

I have this problem with no HUD.
It seems to me that it's not because of Norton, cause I don't have it and have the problem.

I suppose that it might be because of Russian cyrillic letters in UserName. But before this final release everything was ok...

river5tar
10-27-2010, 07:09 PM
Hello,

I'd like to report having the exact same issue with HUD in RUSH cash games. I'm running 1.11.04 however and the problem occurs rather occasionally. The situation is exactly the same: FTP client freezes and after a few seconds HEMhud.exe crashes which makes the software responsive again.

lock
10-27-2010, 09:09 PM
the suggested changes fixed my crash. makes little sense though since Ive never tweaked those.

HowdyDoodee
10-27-2010, 11:08 PM
+1 but not on Rush....using STARS 6max
HUD is always freezing up (Stars). Didn't start happening until this latest 1.11.05 update.

I cannot click my tables until I delete the HUD process. Then immediately I regain access to my tables.

Using 4-6 tables.

morny
10-28-2010, 03:16 AM
Did you try all the suggestions above, did you skip any steps?

Veteran68
10-28-2010, 09:35 AM
Yeah I think as popular as FT and Rush is, if this problem were widespread there would be an uproar, so I suspect some isolated configuration issues or software conflicts that just need to be tracked down.

FWIW my Rush HUD works fine, with the minor exception that sometimes the panels display in the wrong position for one hand, then it fixes itself on the next hand/table. And my FT client never hangs or freezes.

Oh, and btw I do run Norton Internet Security, and other than triggering a scan and prompt after a HEM update (which I fixed by adding my HEM install folder to the Exclusion list), I've never had Norton conflict with HEM or cause any other issues.

jwslug
10-28-2010, 05:02 PM
I had this problem and fixed it. I think it has something to do with configuration files...here is what I did (I had very limited specific configuration so I was happy just to copy my HUD configuration.

1.11.04 – everything working fine (no changes to configuration at all from this time)
Upgrade to 1.11.05 – no rush hud
Downgrade to 1.11.04 table manager hangs just on Rush (works fine for everything else). Hanging also effects FTP which hangs until table manager is killed.
Upgrade to 1.11.05 – same deal table manager hangs

Revo uninstall of 1.11.05 reinstall of 1.11.05
Rush works!
Restore configuration from a day ago (using backup/restore). Rush HUD crashes!
Export HUD configuration to .xml
Revo uninstall/reinstall
Rush Works!
Import saved HUD configuration
Still works.

That was a 2-3 weeks ago. Has worked since then.