PDA

View Full Version : "the system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation"

toreds
10-24-2010, 12:32 PM
ok, so I am having several difficulties here.
First up I bought the PR2 version (nlhe+omaha) as an upgrade to my nlhe version. But my registration code will not change. Everytime I remove the code it automatically finds the old "PRO" code and registers with that. I cannot do it manually.

So I thought I would re-install HEM and then see what happened. After having removed HEM (uninstalled Postgress and deleted the HEM folder) I downloaded the installer from the homepage. But during the installation the computer shows me following: "the system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation" and cancels the installation.

What do do??? :(

fozzy71
10-24-2010, 08:24 PM
Which Operating System, Firewall, and Anti-Virus are you using? Is this a personal computer or a work computer?

Make sure windows is fully updated and change your Windows Control Panel > Regional Settings Format to English (USA).

Disable UAC, restart your PC.

toreds
10-24-2010, 09:20 PM
Windows XP
Avira Anti Virus (free edt)
I use the standard xp firewall, but have it turned off
It's a personal computer.

I changed the regional settings to English (USA) but what is UAC?

netsrak
10-25-2010, 03:29 AM
XP has no UAC so you can ignore this.

Do you have administrator rights on your computer?

toreds
10-25-2010, 04:06 AM
I think so - I should have since it is my computer, but how do I check that?

and change it if I am not - but I really can't see why I shouldn't be. but my computer is kinda weird

toreds
10-25-2010, 08:20 AM
I should have admin rights, the computer is registered in my name and by me, so I don't understand why this message suddenly appears when trying to install

would it be possible to maybe do a TeamViewer session?

fozzy71
10-25-2010, 08:45 AM
I have never seen this error before so I dont know that a teamviewer session would solve anything. I have no idea what is causing the message so I am not sure how to solve it.

Check the Control Panel > User Accounts

Is your account a Administrator? If not, change the account type and restart.

toreds
10-25-2010, 08:52 AM
My account is the admin. I just restarted the computer - still same message appears when installing.

morny
10-26-2010, 12:23 AM
Have a look here: The System Administrator Has Set Policies To Prevent This Installation - The Elder Geek on Windows (http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=34616)

This also indicates it might be to do with Norton or Symantec so if either are installed then uninstall them and reboot. Other than that id recommend posting on a PC tech forum as its a windows issue