PDA

View Full Version : Transferring from dead laptop to new machine

SPCotter
02-02-2013, 01:00 PM
Hi,

The power jack on my laptop has broken. Getting a new jack soldered is expensive considering it's 5 years old I'm going to get a new machine. Local computer store have offered me to part exchange my laptop and transfer the data across for a good price. Will be transferring from vista and hdd to w8/w7 and ssd. Will I be easily able to get hem and database running what do they/i need to consider or will I need to get an adapter to make my hdd an external drive and do some funky stuff to get it to work?

Regards

Patvs
02-02-2013, 09:59 PM
-1: on the new computer, reinstall PostgreSQL with the installer from PostgreSQL: The world's most advanced open source database (http://www.postgresql.org)
When you have the option to select your /DATA folder, select your OLD folder.

So the location where they've moved your old C:/Program Files(x86)/PostgreSQL/8.4/data folder to.
Then connect to that database in HoldemManager, and you should have access to your old database again.

-2: if option 1 fails, in a new empty database, run a import from folder on your old C:/HMArchive folder (reimporting all the original handhistory files)

SPCotter
02-19-2013, 06:33 PM
Just a quick note:

Got my new lappy and I'm up and running. Pleasantly surprised at how easy it was! Recognised my database on first starting HEM plus my rakeback settings, hero names etc. all present as before. Many thanks!! Just a brief scare from the computer store who'd transferred pretty much my whole HDD bar the Postgres folder :eek: . Thankfully they hadn't wiped the old drive so managed to retrieve my DB :cool:

Thanks Again

Patvs
02-20-2013, 05:48 AM
Method #1 (reinstalling, using the old /DATA folder) actuallly only is successful 50% of the time.

So also EXPORT your notes, rakeback settings, HUD, etc. so when it doesn't work you can easily just reimport your hands into a new database, and import the settings again.