PDA

View Full Version : If I use the backup and restore function, how big will the backup file be?

Eclipse86
10-19-2010, 02:59 AM
Alright, so I have a 430gb HEM database, and im looking to move this to another harddrive without having to spend the time to re-import all the hands manually. If I was to use the backup/restore function within HEM, i'm assuming it creates a single backup file for the database correct?

If so, how big would this backup file be in relation to the size of my database?

Also, what would happen if my computer was to randomly reboot while using the backup/restore function to backup a HEM database?

Lastly, how long would creating the backup file take?

netsrak
10-19-2010, 04:01 AM
430 GB database - i can't believe this. How did you calculate this?

How many hands do you have in your database? FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Check Total Amount of Hands in Database (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/115/Check+Total+Amount+of+Hands+in+Database+)

If its really 430 GB i would estimate the backup file has about 50-100 GB.

The backup and restore will at least last some hours but this is hard to say because it depends on many factors.
To be on the safe side you should reserve 2 days for the backup / restore process.

Eclipse86
10-19-2010, 05:07 AM
I have 2 databases on this comp, one is a PT3 db with only my played hands on it (about 1.2 million) and the other is my HEM db with all my played hands in it plus all my datamined hands. In the Postgresql/8.3/data/base folder there's several different folders in there, one is 10gb which i assume is the smaller PT3 db, and the other is 430gb which i assume is the HEM db.

The total amount of hands in my HEM db is a bit over 113m hands. I import an avg of about 300k datamined hands/day and have been doing so for the last 12 months, which is why the db is so big.

fwiw, running the query to check the amount of hands took a bit over 10 mins lol.

netsrak
10-19-2010, 08:31 AM
Wow, you should really start purging old hands.

In general you can delete the mined hands after the import as you only need the stats. I would at least purge all hands older than 2 month which you didn't play.
But i don't think the purge will work in one run. You should start deleting hands older than 12 month or something like that.

FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Holdem Manager Performance & Speed Tweaks (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/373/Holdem+Manager+Performance+%26+Speed+Tweaks)