PDA

View Full Version : Vista / Win 7 questions

Gregster6
10-17-2010, 06:50 AM
Team,

I'm looking to update / replace my PC after a bit of a break from online poker.

My PC runs Vista 64bit Ultimate and I was always having problems with either PostgreSQL or HEM (not sure which). The sorts of problems I was getting before included:
- .Net Connection establishment timeout
- lots of 127.0.0.1 PostgreSQL cannot start

Maybe this is not entirely accurate or fair but I formed a view that Vista 64bit wasn't the smoothest platform for a poker-centric PC at the time (about 18-24months ago).

So anyway, now I am thinking about playing some more poker and updating the operating system (if its worth it) I have a couple of questions:

Does Windows 7 generally get on better with HEM / PostgreSQL than Vista?
Is there any difference in HEM compatibility between 32bit and 64bit versions?

I'd appreciate any informed opinions you may have.

Thanks

Greg

Gregster6
10-17-2010, 10:15 AM
Thanks for that James.

My aparent compatibility issues were specifically with Vista 64 bit and Holdem Manager and or PostgreSQL.

Of course the issues I experienced could be down to other things (including general flakiness of the product or some kind of non OS issue with my PC). Rightly or wrongly I put it down to being a Vista 64-bit / HEM thing...hence my questions in the original post.

With regard to broader Vista 64-bit compatibility I have not had a single compatability issue with any other piece of software or hardware.

I last used HEM back in February this year.

I suppose what I really want to know is right now (latest HEM / PostgreSQL versions)
(1) am I better shifting to Win 7? and, if yes,
(2) which version is best for me?
(3) has anything else happened (product wise) which could have improved the issues I was experiencing?

netsrak
10-17-2010, 12:18 PM
Your problems were probably caused by any 3rd party firewall, anti-spyware, adaware, tuning or registry cleaning program.

In general HM and postgresql run very stable. Only some windows updates affect the postgresql service but this is usually solved by a simple reboot.

I recommend you use the latest windows 7 64 bit. But please don't update your Vista, run a fresh installation.