PDA

View Full Version : Error after moving DB to another partition.

Gato
10-15-2010, 06:00 PM
Hello.

I need to move the DB to a new partition in my HD. After following the instructions here:

FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Move Database to Another Hard Drive or Partition (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/368/Move+Database+to+Another+Hard+Drive+or+Partition)

I restarted my computer and got this error message.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/Gato_Vago/HoldemManager/Error.gif

Need your help please.

Gato
10-15-2010, 10:29 PM
Edited to add this observations:

1. Maybe the above FAQ needs some changes. For instance, in my Windows register the entry that needs to be modified -In the ImagePath - reads:

C:/Archivos de programa/PostgreSQL/8.4/bin/pg_ctl.exe runservice -N "postgresql-8.4" -D "C:/Archivos de Programa/PostgreSQL/8.4/data" -w

Note the red bolded slashes instead of the dashes that appear in the FAQ.

Anyway, I tried with the slashes and got the same error message, so for the moment I gave up.

2. Since the weekend is already here and I didn't want to play without the HM I uninstalled all and made a clean installation, and then I noticed that although I asked Holdem Manager to install in the bigger partition, PostgreSQL installed in the smaller one, the one that contains Windows.

So, basically the DB move failed and I can´t get Postgres installed in the partition of my choice.

That is it.

Help will be most welcome.

morny
10-15-2010, 11:31 PM
You need to copy and paste the data folder to the drive you want to move it to, the guide just shows how to set it up after you move it to connect sucessfully, ill take a look at that FAQ and get it updated, if your still having issue maybe we can do a teamviewer session to troubleshoot the problem, please email me with a suitable time to do the session and also the timezone your in.

support@holdemmanager.com

Gato
10-16-2010, 03:14 AM
You need to copy and paste the data folder to the drive you want to move it to, the guide just shows how to set it up after you move it to connect sucessfully, ill take a look at that FAQ and get it updated, if your still having issue maybe we can do a teamviewer session to troubleshoot the problem, please email me with a suitable time to do the session and also the timezone your in.

support@holdemmanager.com

Hello Morny.

I’ve been making some tests to try to understand what’s going on.

1. The data folder is moved to it’s new location

2. I stop the Postgres service, which is set as Automatic

3. Without making any changes in the register I restart the computer, go check the service and it appears as Started

4. I stop it and then I make the changes in the registry with the new path to the data.

5. I reset

6. I check the Postgres status and it shows Starting -notice NOT started-

7. I change again to the original settings, restart and Postgres has started.

Kind of weird huh? Changing the path to the data files is messing with Postgres connectivity...

I don’t see how a remote session will change this, so if you think about my report above and come with an idea that I can test maybe we can both save some time. I very much appreciate your willingness to help me thu.

Best.

netsrak
10-16-2010, 08:23 AM
Seems like moving the data folder is not working for your postgresql installation.

Create a backup of your database via pgadminIII.
Uninstall postgresql.
Reinstall postgresql on the new partition
Restore the backup

Gato
10-16-2010, 09:37 AM
Seems like moving the data folder is not working for your postgresql installation.

Create a backup of your database via pgadminIII.
Uninstall postgresql.
Reinstall postgresql on the new partition
Restore the backup

The problem is that if I install postgresql using the combo from Holdem Manager, it automatically goes to the old partition, as I already pointed out.

netsrak
10-16-2010, 11:16 AM
You need to download and install a version from PostgreSQL: The world's most advanced open source database (http://www.postgresql.org)

Gato
11-02-2010, 01:37 AM
I can`t find the downloader for PostgreSQL 8.4 for Windows. I´ve looked here without success.

PostgreSQL: Windows packages (http://www.postgresql.org/download/windows)

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thx.

netsrak
11-02-2010, 12:55 PM
Its the 1-click installer: http://www.enterprisedb.com/join-dev-community.do?fileid=1528

alpatters
11-28-2010, 07:21 AM
Note to HEM admins. Though not sure if the following is Gato's problem.

The FAQ is slightly wrong. If you just copy and paste your data folder in PostgreSQL it WILL NOT copy all the required security settings.

You can either go to your new Data folder and add security settings (Full Control) for user postgres. (right-click->Properties->Security)
Or,
use xcopy to copy the folder like:

xcopy "C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.3/Data" "I:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\Data" /O /X /E /H /K

This will retain all the security permissions.

netsrak
11-28-2010, 07:32 AM
Thanks, i'll forward this.