PDA

View Full Version : First time installation combo 1.12.10b

Moonpig
01-27-2013, 03:42 PM
I recent decided to delete HEM 1 and PostgreSQL from my computer and do a fresh install.

I am having problems installing this.

First it ask me do i wish to install

HEM 1
& PostgreSQL (after this it says it is already installed however i deleted it within control panel before and i cannot find any traces on my computer)

If i click install both i get this error saying "The installation directory must be an absolute path containing only letter, and number and the characters // " " \\ and must be writable"

If i say just install HEM when i open HEM it says it failed to open the database and establish a connection with the 127.0.0.1

Thanks

Patvs
01-27-2013, 07:05 PM
Uninstalling PostgreSQL in Windows Control Panel--> wil not completely remove all traces of PostgreSQL.
The keys in your system's registry remain with the location of the install folder.

Therefore if you reinstall PostgreSQL, it will always want to use that old folder.

You either have to:
-uninstall PostgreSQL with a program such as REVO UNINSTALLER (the free version) which can clear your registry
-or manually delete the entries from your registry
-(CCleaner may also be able to delete them)
-Or.. install a different version of PostgreSQL to a different port.
For example with the 9.0 installer from PostgreSQL: The world's most advanced open source database (http://www.postgresql.org)

Moonpig
01-28-2013, 08:23 AM
Uninstalling PostgreSQL in Windows Control Panel--> wil not completely remove all traces of PostgreSQL.
The keys in your system's registry remain with the location of the install folder.

Therefore if you reinstall PostgreSQL, it will always want to use that old folder.

You either have to:
-uninstall PostgreSQL with a program such as REVO UNINSTALLER (the free version) which can clear your registry
-or manually delete the entries from your registry
-(CCleaner may also be able to delete them)
-Or.. install a different version of PostgreSQL to a different port.
For example with the 9.0 installer from PostgreSQL: The world's most advanced open source database (http://www.postgresql.org)

Hi installed REVO and i could not find PostgreSQL as an installed program, how do i do it with in REVO?

I did a scan and delete the 500+ files it found. However still getting the same error above.

clompus
01-28-2013, 08:53 AM
the first installation, writes I can't establish PostgreSQL. What to do?

Moonpig
01-28-2013, 08:59 AM
I tried to the remove these Registry entries.
(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL\Installati ons\postgresql-8.4)
(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL\Services\p ostgresql-8.4)

However they did not exist?

Are there any other places in the registry i should be looking?

Patvs
01-28-2013, 07:31 PM
@clompus: Turn on the secondary Logon. The secondary logon service is a standard windows service which is available on every windows computer. In the latest versions it is not started automatically. You need to start it via control panel > administrative tools > services. Starting it once should insure it works in the future also.

@Moonpig: You have to delete the registry entry linking to the old install folder.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall\PostgreSQL 8.4/Install Location--> C:/Program Files)x86)/PostgreSQL/8.4

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL\Installatio ns\postgresql
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL\Services\po stgresql
etc.

You can find them if you search for 'postgres'

Moonpig
01-29-2013, 04:58 AM
Thanks all sorted now :)