PDA

View Full Version : Moving HEM to a New Computer

SnappyFish
10-14-2010, 09:45 PM
There are a number of these threads about, and I have read them *honest* but I don't think I have come across my specific situation.

Here's my situation - my old computer suffered HardDrive failure which leaves me only able to start it in Windows Safe Mode. Before you ask, yes I have done pretty much everything possible to repair, restore, reindex, etc, etc the old hd.

In Safe Mode - I can not run HEM(postgres wont start - even after I did manage to get it past the online validation process - by essentially re-registering it on the same computer) -

In anycase, I can not do the standard export technique. So I have gathered up what I feel are all my handhistories, and copied my entire HEM folder as per:

FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Reinstalling on a new PC - Backup Tips (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/372/Reinstalling+on+a+new+PC+-+Backup+Tips)

So the plan is to reinstall fresh from the full install package on the new PC, then importing in all my hands old school style. And then I will try and scrounge around and do the best I can to remember things like bonus's that I had recorded in the db. I presume I have no way to get my notes...

My old PC was a 32 bit Win XP. My new one is a 64bit Windows7 - can I still just simply overwrite all the HoldemManager folder with my old folder's files after I install ? - as per the instructions in the video - to preserve some config options, hud, etc...

Anything I am overlooking - or is this the best approach in my situation?

< cliffs notes
Can/should I use my HoldEm Manager folder files from a Win 32 system on a new Win 7 64 bit system when moving to a new PC?
cliffs / >

Patvs
10-15-2010, 12:08 PM
Also backup your old SQL/data folder.
If you copy that to the new computer--> install SQL on top of it (same SQL version as before) there is a 50% chance it will "detect" the old database and you can still connect to it.

XP 32bit--> Windows 7 64bit: overwriting HoldemManager won't be a problem.
Just overwrite the config folder.

SnappyFish
10-16-2010, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the tip about the data folder...I am attempting to duplicate the version of postgres that I had...however, it seems to have been 8.3.3 according to a documentation file in it and I can't find a download for that specific version - at least on their mirrors page (doesn't seem to be a maintained version)...is the 8.3.12 version close enough to offer a chance? Or would you recommend I try an 8.4?

Thanks for your assistance.

The Minder
10-17-2010, 01:17 AM
Don't throw out your old hard drive. If that was your primary drive and you could boot to windows safe mode then that means data is more than likely readable and recoverable.

You never know what else you might want to recover off that drive.

Patvs
10-17-2010, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the tip about the data folder...I am attempting to duplicate the version of postgres that I had...however, it seems to have been 8.3.3 according to a documentation file in it and I can't find a download for that specific version - at least on their mirrors page (doesn't seem to be a maintained version)...is the 8.3.12 version close enough to offer a chance? Or would you recommend I try an 8.4?

Thanks for your assistance.

Any 8.3.x will do, so try it with 8.3.13

SnappyFish
11-05-2010, 09:30 PM
Just wanted to take the time to come back and report that your tips worked Patvs! I copied my SQL/data folder and the new HM picked it right up on the new computer. I should mention in addition to overwriting the config folder - it was also neccessary to make sure I grabbed my custom reports/stats...

Thanks a lot for your support.