PDA

View Full Version : cant connect after update 1.11.05

doudou86
10-12-2010, 04:11 PM
hi,

after update to 1.11.05, i cant connect to postgresql. DBcontrol panel says a connection to postgresql couldnt be made. would you like to HM start the service? I click yes and HM starts the service but when i try again it doesnt work.
Can you help me please?

Patvs
10-12-2010, 07:40 PM
This is usually a firewall or windows update issue.

First try to reboot.

If no help, try this:

Start > Programs > PostgreSQL > 8.x > Stop Service

Start > Programs > PostgreSQL > 8.x > Start Service

If that doesnt help delete the \postgresql\8.x\data\postmaster.pid file, if you see it. And reboot.

If that doesn't help you will have to reinstall PostgreSQL completely

doudou86
10-13-2010, 04:36 AM
Hi,
i share my database using an usb key. There is only a postmaster.opts file on it.
Is it the one i have to delete ?

doudou86
10-13-2010, 05:15 AM
i have a new problem trying to uninstall postgresql : "the folder path 'program files' contains an invalid character so uninstall doesnt work :(
What can i do to reinstall postgresql but not losing my DB?? :(

Patvs
10-13-2010, 08:04 AM
You don't have to uninstall SQL.
Just reinstall the 8.4.5 installer from PostgreSQL: The world's most advanced open source database (http://www.postgresql.org) which will update your current installation.

Don't delete the postmaster.opts file

doudou86
10-13-2010, 08:31 AM
my postgresql is 8.3 version. When i installed 1.11.04 i had some problems thats why i keeped 8.3 version...

netsrak
10-13-2010, 08:49 AM
Please check the standard things again:

1. Reboot your computer
2. If that doesn't help look for the hidden system file postmaster.pid in the postgresql data folder, delete it and reboot your computer again.
3. Check the postgresql service in the windows services (control panel->administration). Sometimes it helps to change the Logon As.. to "local system account"
4. Check our FAQ:
FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Can't Connect / Failed to Start PostgreSQL (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/91/Can%27t+Connect+%7B47%7D+Failed+to+Start+PostgreSQ L+)

If you need to reinstall postgresql please use 8.3 again and you should be able to connect to your database again: FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Reinstall PostgreSQL Preserving Old Database (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/71/Reinstall+PostgreSQL+Preserving+Old+Database)

I don't like this shared database solutions with an USB stick or external HDD. In my opinion they are very unstable if you don't stop the postgresql service and disconnect the USB stick every time before you change the PC.
At least you should run a backup of the postgresql database very often.

But this problem has nothing to do with the HM update you installed. All HM versions use the same database connection.

doudou86
10-13-2010, 09:01 AM
ok, it doesnt work so i have to reinstall it... problem is when i try to uninstall postgresql : "the folder path 'program files' contains an invalid character so uninstall doesnt work.
What can i do to uninstall then reinstall postgresql but not losing my DB?? :(

PS : i think i'm gonna install it on my local HD and when occasionnaly i'll play on my notebook, i'll import hands. So ?...

morny
10-13-2010, 09:09 PM
Sounds like something is corrupt with PostgreSQL most likely its looking up a registry key and that registry key has some weird character in it, youd need to check the PostgreSQL forums for a guide to fix something like that as i never seen it before.

if you cant get access to your database do you have all your hands archived in the C:/HMarchive folder?

Can you try to restart the service again via Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services and look for PostgreSQL and click start. It will time out after several minutes and give an error. Then go to the event viewer and under applications in there it should give an error message, can you copy and paste those details here or post a screenshot

How to open event viewer in Vista or Windows 7
Event Viewer in Windows 7 | help.artaro.eu (http://help.artaro.eu/index.php/windows-7/essential-windows-7-administration/event-viewer-in-windows-7.html)

doudou86
10-15-2010, 03:44 PM
hi,

yes my hands history seems to be safe.
But i uninstalled postgresql and now i think it would be better to re-install HEM then import hands from my safe archive folder.
How can i process to do that ? (considering now i just want to use HEM on my desktop computer, saving hands on my hard disk).
Than you again :)

morny
10-16-2010, 12:16 AM
HM is just the UI application displaying the database info, postgreSQL is the database so reinstalling HM wont help with any database issues.

Im not 100% sure what your asking though, are you hoping to run it without PostgreSQL, if so that isnt possible so youll need to reinstall postgreSQL and reimport the hands that youve archived

doudou86
10-16-2010, 03:34 AM
hi,

now i just want to know what is the best way to use HEM just on my desktop computer, reimporting hands archived. I play poker without HEM for several days and i just want to use HEM and hand history now :(

netsrak
10-16-2010, 08:37 AM
Do you have the handhistories?

Copy them to your computer and import them via import file.

If you don't have them contact the support of your pokersite to send them.