PDA

View Full Version : How is steal calculated in HEM

Sokol
10-10-2010, 03:58 AM
I can"t figure out how HEM calculates steal stats, and what is connection between steal and pre flop raise.

Eg.
Villain is 33/22: he have pfr 22, so it is 22% hands of his VPIP (33) that he raised pre fop.
His steal stats are:
CO steal- 36%
BTN steal- 29%
SB steal- 33%
Steal overall- 33%

When i point mouse over his stats in Replayer it says that he steal overall 40 hands:
CO steal- 14 (36%)
BTN- 14 (29%)
SB- 12 (33%)

My point is that when i divide BTN steal hands with overall (14/40) it doesnt give that 29 % but 35%..

How HEM calculates that 33% overall, 36% CO, 29% BTN and 33% SB steal and is it in correlation with PFR?
I mean, if villain raises unopened pot from CO will that move have to change his PFR as well as steal stat.

I will be appreciate if someone can write formulas which HEM use to calculate this.

Patvs
10-10-2010, 08:41 AM
If a player raises first-to-act from CO, it will affect both his PFR and CO-steal %.

Steal formula:

<Stat GroupName="Steal" ColumnName="COSteal" ValueExpressions="sum(case when ph.PositionType_ID=4 and ph.preflopaction_ID=0 then 1 else 0 end) as CutoffPositionUnopenedHands;sum(case when ph.PositionType_ID=4 and ph.preflopaction_ID=0 and didPFR=true then 1 else 0 end) as CutoffPositionUnopenedPFR" Evaluate="CutoffPositionUnopenedPFR*100.0/CutoffPositionUnopenedHands" ColumnHeader="Steal\nfrom\nCutoff" ColumnFormat="0.0" ColumnWidth="61" Tooltip="Pct of time player raises preflop when one off the button with nobody else in the pot" />

<Stat GroupName="Steal" ColumnName="BTNSteal" ValueExpressions="sum(case when ph.PositionType_ID=5 and ph.preflopaction_ID=0 then 1 else 0 end) as ButtonPositionUnopenedHands;sum(case when ph.PositionType_ID=5 and ph.preflopaction_ID=0 and didPFR=true then 1 else 0 end) as ButtonPositionUnopenedPFR" Evaluate="ButtonPositionUnopenedPFR*100.0/ButtonPositionUnopenedHands" ColumnHeader="Steal\nfrom\nButton" ColumnFormat="0.0" ColumnWidth="61" Tooltip="Pct of time player raises preflop when on the button with nobody else in the pot" />

<Stat GroupName="Steal" ColumnName="SBSteal" ValueExpressions="sum(case when ph.PositionType_ID=0 and ph.preflopaction_ID=0 then 1 else 0 end) as SmallBlindPositionUnopenedHands;sum(case when ph.PositionType_ID=0 and ph.preflopaction_ID=0 and didPFR=true then 1 else 0 end) as SmallBlindPositionUnopenedPFR" Evaluate="SmallBlindPositionUnopenedPFR*100.0/SmallBlindPositionUnopenedHands" ColumnHeader="Steal\nfrom\nSB" ColumnFormat="0.0" ColumnWidth="61" Tooltip="Pct of time player raises preflop when in the small blind with nobody else in the pot" />

<Stat GroupName="Steal" ColumnName="StealPct" ValueExpressions="sum(case when ph.PositionType_ID in (4,5,0) and ph.preflopaction_ID=0 then 1 else 0 end) as StealPositionUnopenedHands;sum(case when ph.PositionType_ID in (4,5,0) and ph.preflopaction_ID=0 and didPFR=true then 1 else 0 end) as StealPositionUnopenedPFR" Evaluate="StealPositionUnopenedPFR*100.0/StealPositionUnopenedHands" ColumnHeader="Steal\nPct" ColumnFormat="0.0" ColumnWidth="61" Tooltip="Pct of time player raises unopened preflop from the cutoff, button or small blind" />

Sokol
10-10-2010, 04:07 PM
TY, this is what I looked for.

Just did little excel homework and everything is clear now.

To simplify whole thing, steal formula is:

POSITION STEAL = (POSITION UNOPENED HANDS PFR / POSITION UNOPENED HANDS) X 100

POSITION- CO or BTN or SB
UNOPENED HANDS PFR- hands where pot was unopened and villain did PFR (raised pre-flop)
UNOPENED HANDS- hands where pot was unopened and villain didn"t PFR (missed pfr)

Eg. villains steal stats I used for calculation are:

CO steal- 20%
BTN steal- 100%
SB steal- 0%
Steal overall- 44%

CO Steal- there was 10 unopened spots (where no one put money before him), and he raised pf 2 of them [(2 / 10) x 100 = 20%]
BTN Steal- 5 unopened and he raised pf whole 5 [(5 / 5) x 100 = 100%]
SB Steal- 1 unopened and he limped that one, so pfr is 0 [(0 / 1) x 100 = 0%]

Steal overall- 16 unopened spots, he raised pre-flop 7 times of that 16 spots [Steal overall = (7 / 16) x 100 = 44]

This is why we can"t just divide "position steal" with "steal overall" to get right result for percentage of steal at certain position.

Hope this will help someone as it did to me.