PDA

View Full Version : database on network

Timb
10-02-2010, 07:15 AM
Hello,

I have a Lacie D2 network drive, and I want to install my database on it.
So I can use HM on my laptop and PC.
I found this FAQ :
FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Run PostgreSQL Over a Network (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/90/Run+PostgreSQL+Over+a+Network+)

Is this the right way to complete the installation ?

Thanks for your reply.

Ps I'm on wireless network (n)

netsrak
10-02-2010, 07:48 AM
Nope, you need to configure the Lacie network drive as additional partition or harddisk on your computers and install postgresql on this partition. Must be the same partition and postgresql version on both computers.

Timb
10-02-2010, 06:25 PM
Thank you for your answer. I'm gonna try this.

netsrak
10-03-2010, 06:28 AM
see this FAQ: FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: How do I setup Holdem Manager to share one database between two computers? (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/336/How+do+I+setup+Holdem+Manager+to+share+one+databas e+between+two+computers%3F)

Timb
10-03-2010, 11:26 AM
Great ! thanks for the information. Just in case, you do know the pictures doesn't appear in this FAQ ?

netsrak
10-03-2010, 12:45 PM
Thanks, i'll forward it

Timb
10-03-2010, 02:58 PM
I've followed the instructions of the faq.
At "C) installing postgres on the new pc" i've occurred this problem:
When installing the same version of postgress (8.3), at the end I get this error message "failed to set permissions on the installed files, please see the log file...pgperm.log)

I'm trying to install postgress on windows 7, UAC and firewall are dissabled and i'm running it as administrator.

Now I've tried to install the combo pack (hm & postgress 8.4) and now I think it worked.

1.With the installation of the combo pack there was no point I could enter the path for data to my external drive.
Is it ok to change this now ?

2. If this work can I delete postgress on my second desktop and install the 8.4 version ?

Sorry for my bad english and thank a lot for your help !

Timb
10-03-2010, 05:04 PM
Ok, this doesn't work after all.

I've installed the combo pack on the new pc, validated my version of hm, edited the pad in regedit (is this the same for vista and windows 7 ?) and
Restarted the services.
Now when I launch HM, the database control panel opens with the message 'HM needs to know where to find the database. Server name is 127.0.0.1, port number 5432, login: postgres, pas: postgrespass.

This is on my new desktop. The other one still have HM and a older version of postgres installed. If I get this working, i'm hoping to install the new version on my old desktop.

I've just validated my new pc with the serial code. I hope I can use this code again when I upgrade/reinstall postgress & HM on my old one ?

Thank you for your reply !

netsrak
10-04-2010, 03:31 AM
You can't use the combo installer for this type of postgresql installation.

Please download and install postgresql 8.4 from PostgreSQL: The world's most advanced open source database (http://www.postgresql.org).

Your HM key is valid for 2 of your PCs at a time. If you need to reset it create an account on our homepage, login, enter your key and reset it.

Timb
10-04-2010, 01:56 PM
Thank you for your reply.
I've tried to install 8.4 from this website. When I select the data directory (in my case P:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.3\data) I get this error message: the existing data directory (catalog version) is not compatible with this server (catalog version: 200904091).

On my old desktop I had postgress 8.3 installed..

So I tried to install 8.3 (from the website postgresql.org) and now when I locate the data folder I get this error message:
The existing data directory (date/time setting: floating-point numbers) is not compatible with this server (date/time setting: 64-bit integers)

What is the best way to solve this ? Can I upgrade postgress on my old pc (vista) to 8.4, so the database will be compatible on my new one (windows 7) ?

Thanks for your help !

netsrak
10-06-2010, 04:40 AM
You would need an older 8.3 version to access this data folder.

Backup your database on your old computer via pgadminIII, create a new empty database on your new installation and restore the backup from the old one (8.4 can restore 8.3 backups).

Timb
10-06-2010, 07:13 AM
If I summarize this :

PC1: old one with HM & postgres 8.3
PC 2: New one, with no HM or postgress

PC 1: So, I must backup the data with pgadminIII, found the FAQ here :
FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Backup & Restore Database (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/72/Backup+%26+Restore+Database)

Then I upgrade PC1 to 8.4, restore the backup.
I wil copy the data map as told in this FAQ:
FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: How do I setup Holdem Manager to share one database between two computers? (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/336/How+do+I+setup+Holdem+Manager+to+share+one+databas e+between+two+computers%3F)
and Then I change the path of the data to P:\

After this is done :

PC2: I install 8.4 and during the installing, I choose the data directory to my P:\ drive and postgres will recognise the database ? After this I install HM on PC2.

Can you confirm this ?

Thanks a million

netsrak
10-06-2010, 11:01 AM
Before you restore the backup on PC1 you should change the data folder to the P: drive
Everything else is fine for me

Timb
10-06-2010, 05:53 PM
I'm almost there.

Done this :

backup, upgrade and restore on my old pc, data is on P: drive and it works :)

I installed 8.4 on new pc (windows 7) and I changed the path to P:

I've installed HM (same version) and here comes another problem:
When I open HM I get the message "failed to establish connection to 127.0.0.1"
Then I come to this screen "'HM needs to know where to find the database. Server name is 127.0.0.1, port number 5432, login: postgres, pas: postgrespass"

Firewall, Defender and AVG are dissabled, in the firewall I made an exception on port number 5432.
So I searched the forum and I found a solution where you edit a file :
C:Windowssystem32driversetc" > host.
But here "127.0.0.1 localhost" is already in the notepad...

When I try to acces the database with pgadminIII I get this message :
'HM needs to know where to find the database. Server name is 127.0.0.1, port number 5432, login: postgres, pas: postgrespass.

Thanks for the help !!

netsrak
10-07-2010, 04:34 AM
Is the postgresql service not running on your 2nd PC?

1. Reboot your computer
2. If that doesn't help look for the hidden system file postmaster.pid in the postgresql data folder, delete it and reboot your computer again.
3. Check the postgresql service in the windows services (control panel->administration). Sometimes it helps to change the Logon As.. to "local system account"
4. Check our FAQ:
FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Can't Connect / Failed to Start PostgreSQL (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/91/Can%27t+Connect+%7B47%7D+Failed+to+Start+PostgreSQ L+)

Timb
10-09-2010, 04:11 AM
No, nothings works.

I deleted the postmaster.pid file and I changed the logon to local system account, when this didn't worked I changed it back.

To make thing worse, yesterday when I wanted to play on pc 1 (vista) I get the same error.

I first thougt this happened due to a windows update, but I did a system recovery and the same problem remain.

So at his point I have 2 pc's that can't make a connection to postgres.

On pc 1 (vista) I deleted postgre, deleted postgres user, reinstalled 8.4, restored the backup.
But this time I didn't change the path to the new drive and I kept the data on my C: Drive.
Now when I open HM, first I must locate the database (no prob), and after a maintenance it worked. again.

Now on pc 2 (windows 7) I tried to do the same thing: deleted postgre, deleted postgres user, reinstalled 8.4 and here it goes wrong.
In pgadminIII I can't connect to the server and the same 127.0.0.1 problems.

PC 2 has windows 64-bit installed. First I was thinking I needed postgre 8.9 because here you can choose the 64-bit version, but this can't be true because I few days ago I've installed the combo version on this pc and it worked (hm & postgres, not the sharing of the database).

I searched the forum, but always find the same answers and things I've already tried..

What should I do ? This problem is driving me crazy.

netsrak
10-09-2010, 04:53 AM
Please try postgresql 8.3 instead, some computers have problems with 8.4.

Another solution might be to install the whole postgresql installation on a different partition.