PDA

View Full Version : pgadmin III Server doesn't listen

SuperSized
10-02-2010, 05:59 AM
I have been trying to follow the FAQ guide FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Run PostgreSQL Over a Network (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/90/Run+PostgreSQL+Over+a+Network+) to provide remote access to the database on my desktop.

I'm now stuck and I can't access database on my desktop. Everytime I time to edit the pg_hba.conf file, the changes don't seem to stick. Plus now when I try to start the service on my desktop, this is the error message I get.

http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo280/AceNakamura/ScreenShot106.jpg

SuperSized
10-02-2010, 07:00 AM
I checked the HOSTS file in the windows system32 folder and there was a line missing, something like :::1 which I added again. This didn't solve the problem.

Started the server using the DOS module. It says the server failed to start, but no specific problem is reported. Event viewer records this

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( PostgreSQL ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: 2010-10-02 12:49:40 CATFATAL: could not load pg_hba.conf

Is the pg_hba.conf file corrupted? Can I fix this by over-writing the file?

netsrak
10-02-2010, 07:47 AM
Yes, i'm sure you screwed your conf file.

Replace it with your backup copy and restart the computer.

SuperSized
10-04-2010, 06:02 AM
Yes, i'm sure you screwed your conf file.

Replace it with your backup copy and restart the computer.
Conf file seemed fine, but I replaced with an older copy I found and I can access my database again. I noticed that line 127.0.0.1/32 is enabled and the line ::1/128 is not. When attempt to enable this through the Backend Access Conf editor, I can't restart the service because it just won't read pg_hba.conf file. The file seems fine to me and all that is happening is it deletes the '#' symbol in front of the ::1/128 line in the file to change it from comment to code.

What should be my next step? Should I reinstall postgreSQL?

netsrak
10-04-2010, 10:28 AM
As long as the postgresql server works with the original configuration there is no need to reinstall postgresql.

Sometimes the manual solution works better:
If you want to change the conf file follow this steps:
1. stop the postgresql service
2. open the file pg_hba.conf with an texteditor like notepad
3. edit the file and save the file to your desktop
4. rename the original file
5. copy the new file from the desktop to the original folder
6. restart the service

Not all lines which are commented out in the file need to work in your configuration. I suggest you just add a line with the ip of your 2nd computer, something like
... 192.168.0.10/32 ...
and test how it works