PDA

View Full Version : database restore wont work (hm1)

PlusEV
01-06-2013, 02:52 PM
hey,

i just tried to restore a backup database after reformatting my computer. i followed the usual steps (log into pgadmin, create database there with default properties -> right clicked restore and selected the backup file).

after doing that, i just cant select "ok", it still is grey so i cant select it.

any idea to resolve that problem?

i tried to restore in a 8.4 postgresql version and its at least very likely i made the backup in 8.4 as well

the backup file is 2.64gb. not sure how many hands in that database but i would guess around 800k or so, maybe more.

i cant recall if there was an error when backing up that file, but i dont think so and the file looks fine.

help appreciated a lot, would be pretty bad to lose that database :(

Patvs
01-06-2013, 08:47 PM
You also created the backup in pgadminIII?
You're certain it wasn't created on a computer running PostgreSQL 8.2, 8.3 or 9.0?

If it's greyed out after your select the file, can you post a screenshot of that screen (and the screen before that). Likely you have to tick/turn something else on before you can go to the next step.

PlusEV
01-06-2013, 11:30 PM
to be honest, now that you mention it, im not 100% sure anymore if i created the backup in pgadmin or in holdemmanager (its 3 months ago). but the file is named database.backup and can be selected when restoring in pgadmin and cant be selected when restoring in holdemmanager, so i strongly assume that the backup was created in pgadmin

no, im not certain it wasnt created running the versions u mentioned. but i tried two different versions to restore it now (8.4 and the newest i found on postgres site, i think it was 9.2) and i had the same issues with both of the versions.

i THINK postgres on my old computer was saved in the programs folder and not in the programs(x86) folder, so it was prolly one of the newer versions?

its greyed before (naturally. obv u cant click ok before selecting a file) and after i select the file. yea it would also seem likely that i just have to tick something on/off before i can run the restoring process, but the faq of restoring here says that nothing has to be changed and i can surely say i didnt have to change anything in the past when i did it.

it seems more likely to me that something is wrong with the version, but would it actually recognize the file in that case? or otherwise, wouldnt it allow me to start it but give an error immediately?

i dont have access to that computer right now. will post a screenshot tomorrow but actually not too much interesting can be seen, as it is just the default screen for everyone except that the button "ok" is still grey after selecting a file.

edit: http://faq.holdemmanager.com/images/postgresql-backup-07.jpg

it looks EXACTLY like that, just that the "ok" button is also grey after successfully selecting a file (if it wouldnt recoginize the file, i couldnt select it i guess)

is it possible to get any of you guys on skype for a teamviewer session or something? i guess that could make things way more easier

in any event, my skype name is "robson_theone"

Patvs
01-07-2013, 05:18 AM
i THINK postgres on my old computer was saved in the programs folder and not in the programs(x86) folder, so it was prolly one of the newer versions?

Try 9.0 (x64), which is the most likely version that would have been installed in that folder.
Download PostgreSQL | EnterpriseDB (http://www.enterprisedb.com/products-services-training/pgdownload)

If it won't restore, either there still is a PostgreSQL-version conflict, or -more likely- there is a corruption in the .backup file.
On which site did you play most of your hands?

If you played on Full Tilt, PartyPoker or PokerStars, and you no longer have access to your old archive folder, you can email the support of the pokerclient and get the handhistories, for every hand you've ever played and just reimport them into a new database.

PlusEV
01-08-2013, 12:45 PM
have tried with 9.0, didnt work as well :(

played most hands on eurosites....any other idea? dunno why but it looks to me that i just make some stupid mistake...

PlusEV
01-08-2013, 04:04 PM
ok i made a final attempt and tried it on another computer. i installed all different postgresql versions (win7 64bit) to find out if the restore will work with one of the versions

in fact, i dont have the problem with any version now (no idea how thats possible). i suspect its because possibly i had the backup file on a external hdd before and there is some problem with that? not sure tho.....

BUT: the import still doesnt work . i get the following error code. not sure how much of it u can read since its partly on german, although i changed language to english

C:\Program Files (x86)\PostgreSQL\8.3\bin\pg_restore.exe --host localhost --port 5436 --username "postgres" --dbname "newesttest" --verbose "C:\Users\Ownage4u\Desktop\neu1.backup"
pg_restore: verbinde mit der Datenbank zur Wiederherstellung
pg_restore: erstelle SCHEMA public
pg_restore: erstelle COMMENT SCHEMA public
pg_restore: erstelle PROCEDURAL LANGUAGE plpgsql
pg_restore: [Archivierer (DB)] Fehler in Phase PROCESSING TOC:
pg_restore: [Archivierer (DB)] Fehler in Inhaltsverzeichniseintrag 409; 2612 16386 PROCEDURAL LANGUAGE plpgsql postgres
pg_restore: [Archivierer (DB)] could not execute query: FEHLER: Sprache »plpgsql« existiert bereits
Command was: CREATE PROCEDURAL LANGUAGE plpgsql;

pg_restore: setze Eigentümer und Privilegien für SCHEMA public
pg_restore: setze Eigentümer und Privilegien für COMMENT SCHEMA public
pg_restore: setze Eigentümer und Privilegien für ACL public
pg_restore: setze Eigentümer und Privilegien für PROCEDURAL LANGUAGE plpgsql
WARNUNG: bei Wiederherstellung ignorierte Fehler: 1

Process returned exit code 1.

i get that error in every postgres version and it always refers to the 8.3 folder, although i used 9.0 and 9.1 for it

Patvs
01-08-2013, 09:34 PM
Did you also try PostgreSQL 8.3?

After the restore process, does the database show up in pgadminIII?
Can you create new database in HoldemManager. Import a very SMALL sample of handhistories. Back it up..----> restore it, so see if you are able to backup/restore a new database.

PlusEV
02-04-2013, 10:49 PM
Did you also try PostgreSQL 8.3?

After the restore process, does the database show up in pgadminIII?
Can you create new database in HoldemManager. Import a very SMALL sample of handhistories. Back it up..----> restore it, so see if you are able to backup/restore a new database.

sorry for taking such a long time to come back to this thread, had a lot of other stuff to work on...

i tried to solve the problem today and i just keep running into walls.

yes, it shows up in pgadminIII, but it doesnt show up in holdemmanager.

yes i can backup->restore on my system right now and have the database accessable in HM.

today i made a final attempt to find out with which version at least the backup button isnt greyed out for my file. therefore i uninstalled all postgres versions and tried each version. first i installed 8.3, tried, afterwards uninstalled (deleted all files etc as well) and after rebooting went on to 8.4 version. i did this for all versions and it just didnt work for any version. now the button is greyed out again with any version.

on this exact computer when i installed all versions lately, it wasnt greyed out anymore (see last post), but i got some import error. why is it greyed out now again?

i would be greatly thankful if someone of the hm staff could help me via skype/teamviewer to work on this. im pretty sure there is a somewhat simple solution to the problem which i just dont see right now.

its extremely frustrating, as im pretty sure my database isnt really lost, but i cant access it right now.

Patvs
02-06-2013, 05:20 AM
Please schedule a remote support session with our support. Email support@holdemmanager.net, with a link to this thread and your forum name, so we can setup a Teamviewer (http://www.holdemmanager.net/teamviewer) session.

Please let us know when you are available in GMT time for a teamviewer session. Please remember that we schedule a couple days in advance and need to fit into our schedules. So give us a few days' range of times and notice.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock

This link will help you convert your time.

Please read this important information before our teamviewer session. We cannot do the teamviewer session until all those issues are addressed below:
1 Make sure you have updated your windows using the Windows Update feature http://www.update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/thanks.aspx?ln=en&&thankspage=5 Please keep checking for updates until windows shows twice five minutes apart that there are no more updates.
2 Make sure Holdem Manager is updated to the latest version http://www.holdemmanager.com/store/downloads-manuals.php
3 Please make sure you have access to a good connection, we cannot provide support on really slow connections
4 - Please allow us full access otherwise it slows down the speed at which we can fix the issue
Please download this version, it's the only one compatible with our version.

http://www.holdemmanager.com/Downloads/TeamViewerQS_5.1.13999.exe

After the meeting is set up, then

Please email the ID and password 5-10 minutes before.