PDA

View Full Version : $ EV Adjusted for Shortstack is flawed

Patriots
09-25-2010, 10:07 AM
The $ EV adjusted is always too high for the short-stack in multi-way all-ins when there is betting on later streets. Can you add an option to have $0 EV adjustment in these cases. EV would be calculated by what is actually won or lost.

From the FAQ
"Note: EV is calculated at the point in which everyone is all-in. Calculating it any other way would be biased since we don't know what hands people might have folded."

Since you "don't know" you should not make any EV adjustment. What happens is the EV adjustment is always too high for the shortstack. In the LONG RUN the EV Adjustment for the short stack will always be too high and higher than actual winnings. I understand that for any one hand the guess you make may be closer but it is inherently flawed in the wrong run.

Have you considered an option to use actual winnings and make no adjustment in these situations?

netsrak
09-26-2010, 06:05 AM
This is not an available feature at the moment. Please suggest it or vote for it in our suggestions area: Suggestions Forums - Holdem Manager Forums (http://forums.holdemmanager.com/suggestions-forums/)

Patriots
09-26-2010, 08:59 PM
Thanks. Will do. So you agree with my thesis?

Thanks

Patvs
09-27-2010, 12:33 AM
Since you "don't know" you should not make any EV adjustment.

But we don't make any EV adjustments for the shortstack. The EV is always 0$.
Whether we do or don't get to see the other players holecards (who continue betting on a later street)

I don't fully understand your thesis "The $ EV adjusted is always too high for the short-stack in multi-way all-ins when there is betting on later streets. "

You could argue the shortstack loses a lot of EV, since he's sometimes allin preflop with AA, and DOESN'T get any $EV adjusted if the other stacks continue betting the flop/turn and scoop the pot. But the opposite (shortstack NOT having the best hand preflop, but winning the main pot) will balance that.

It's explained more: http://forums.holdemmanager.com/manager-bugs/35045-my-ev-adjusted-not-correct-some-hands-not-imported.html