PDA

View Full Version : error: Could not find PostgreSQL installation directory

ddubois
09-19-2010, 04:52 PM
I cannot do File -> Backup, Start Backup. I get the titled error.

PostgreSQL is installed in C:\PostgreSQL\8.3\bin. That drive is a Velociraptor, and postgres is the only thing on that drive. My OS is on my E: drive, as is HEM, at E:\Program Files\RVG Software\Holdem Manager.

I recently cloned/swapped out my old E: and F: drives for a new 2TB, and the drives letters were messed up when I first restarted after doing so; perhaps that's why HEM is confused. But then, I don't know how HEM looks for the installation. Maybe it just assumes its going to be in Program Files? Is there a way to educate it to the right location, like via registry or INI? (FYI, HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\pgAdmin III\PostgreSQLPath contains the postgres installation location. Maybe you can use that instead of assuming.)

I guess I can just use the old school pgAdmin III backup method, then continue onwards to my planned Windows 7 upgrade. (Truth be told, I might not even need to backup/restore anyway; I think I should be able to just reinstall postgres8.3 after Win7 without reinitializing the database clusters?)

But this seems like a simple, minor improvement for you guys to update in your software.

netsrak
09-20-2010, 03:26 AM
We are already aware of this problem. I hope it will be fixed in the next releases.

ddubois
10-30-2010, 08:29 PM
I want to take another go at upgrading to Win7 this weekend. It seems this isn't fixed yet, or maybe I'm behind on versions?

Can you link me to a description of the old school backup methodology? I want to make sure I do it right. Assuming I preserve HH databases successfully, what might I lose in the process?

netsrak
10-31-2010, 07:56 AM
FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Backup & Restore Database (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/72/Backup+%26+Restore+Database)
FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Reinstalling on a new PC - Backup Tips (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/372/Reinstalling+on+a+new+PC+-+Backup+Tips)

Additional to the handhistories you should export notes and summaries. But the first thing is to make a database backup via pgadminIII. If this backup can be restored on the new installation you don't need the hands, notes etc.