PDA

View Full Version : hm won't start anymore

Pieter86
10-27-2008, 04:05 AM
When I try to start holdem managar I am getting the following message: "
The following error occurred when trying to open the database: Failed to establish a connection to 127.0.0.1 "

When I click ok I get a few suggestions, to disable user acces control and check if im running everything as administrator, i did this and nothing was wrong with these settings.

Any ideas how I can fix this?

Pieter86
10-27-2008, 08:23 AM
update:

I tried starting postgresql database server in admin tools-services but I am getting an error when trying.

It is in dutch but here is a rough translation of the error: error 1053: the service didnt answer the start or steering command in the right way.

Also I think the problem started after the last time vista ran an update....

morny
10-27-2008, 11:31 AM
Most likely a firewall/antivirus issue follow this thread: http://208.109.95.123/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=164

Also make sure the update didnt restart UAC and disable it if it did http://208.109.95.123/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=73

Pieter86
10-27-2008, 12:13 PM
The FAQ tells me to uninstall postgress, won't I lose my database if I do that?

It also tells me to uninstall firewalls, I'm not a computer wizz but I thought windows has its own firewall, how can I uninstall that? Is it enough if it is turned off?

Also, the faq you linked to said that its about this problem: " I get the following Message: unable to read data from the transport connection. An existing conection was frocibly closed by the remote host? "

I am not getting that message.... Am I following the right faq?

morny
10-27-2008, 12:27 PM
Yes there a similar issue relating to the same problem so this FAQ is correct.

Where you cant delete a firewall (windows firewall for example) Try adding all the HM .exe files located at C:\Program Files\Rvgsoftware\HoldemManager\ to the exceptions list and temporarily deleteing it

Removing PostgreSQL will leave behind the PostgreSQL database files at C:\Program Files\POstgreSQL\PostgreSQL8.x\Data

When you reinstall it and it asks for the username and password the 2nd time then untick the "Initialise Database Cluster" box and finsih the installation and it will use your old database

concussed
10-27-2008, 04:47 PM
Hi.
I'm having the same problem today. I am still on the trial version and had 7 days of smooth impressive running, but today i get "Failed to establish a connection to 127.0.0.1 "
I've tried starting it in Services, and I get the message "The PostreSQL dATABASE sERVER 8.3 service on local computer started and then stopped.Some services stop automatically if they have no work to do...."
Any ideas ?

morny
10-28-2008, 10:58 AM
Please follow this FAQ http://208.109.95.123/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=164

concussed
10-28-2008, 02:12 PM
Hi
I am on XP not Vista, so unable to amend these settings...please help !

Other settings - The only Firewall I have is the XP version which I have tried switching on and off before opening HEM. Nothing changed on my computer from saturday to monday !
Do you need any other info ?

steoin
10-28-2008, 07:16 PM
cant find it now will look tomorrow but while looking for a solution to this prob all day i came across somewhere to make sure date and time are correct
clock changed over the weekend could this be the prob
also have tried all the step still not working

morny
10-28-2008, 09:10 PM
Hi
I am on XP not Vista, so unable to amend these settings...please help !

Other settings - The only Firewall I have is the XP version which I have tried switching on and off before opening HEM. Nothing changed on my computer from saturday to monday !
Do you need any other info ?

Sorry i quoted the wrong FAQ, correct one here http://208.109.95.123/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=164

morny
10-28-2008, 09:11 PM
cant find it now will look tomorrow but while looking for a solution to this prob all day i came across somewhere to make sure date and time are correct
clock changed over the weekend could this be the prob
also have tried all the step still not working

please start a new thread with your exact error message and what stage/screen you were at when it happened

concussed
10-29-2008, 02:00 PM

concussed
10-29-2008, 02:03 PM
Ok - I have uninstalled PostGre and now trying to reinstall with Firewall off.

After the language screen, I get a Windows Installer box saying
"The installation package could not be opened. verify that the package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package"

and all I can do is click ok. So now i'm really stuck...

PS - my clock is right for GMT purposes.

morny
10-29-2008, 04:36 PM
You need to extract the files to a folder on your desktop, your trying to run it inside the zip file

concussed
10-29-2008, 05:47 PM
Argh...nearly there I think
I'm at stage 8 on this page:
http://www.holdemmanager.net/PostgreSQL_Install_Help.html
I click next and I get an error message:

"The specified data directory is not empty.
If you have an existing databasewith the same major version number, you do not need to initialse a database cluster.
If you have an existing database with a different major version you need to backup your old database and create a new one"

I can only click OK.

What to do ?

fleabit
10-29-2008, 05:55 PM
Also make sure the update didnt restart UAC and disable it if it did http://208.109.95.123/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=73[/QUOTE]

I think that was the problem, My manager is working fine now:D

Pieter86
10-29-2008, 06:51 PM
I uninstalled all the virusscanners and firewalls (and turned off the firewalls that come with windows)
And unistalled and reinstalled postgres.

The problem remains the same, when I try to start hm i get the 127.1.0 error and when I try to start postgres I get this message: Can't start postgresSQL Database Sever 8.3-servie on Local computer.

error 1053: service didnt correctly correspond to starting task.

UAC is off btw so thats not the problem here.

morny
10-30-2008, 01:44 PM
Argh...nearly there I think
I'm at stage 8 on this page:
http://www.holdemmanager.net/PostgreSQL_Install_Help.html
I click next and I get an error message:

"The specified data directory is not empty.
If you have an existing databasewith the same major version number, you do not need to initialse a database cluster.
If you have an existing database with a different major version you need to backup your old database and create a new one"

I can only click OK.

What to do ?

This means there is a previous database there, if you want to keep the previous database just untick "initialise database cluster" on that page. If youd like to create a blank database then delete the postgreSQL folder in C:\Program Files but this will delete any old databases

morny
10-30-2008, 01:47 PM
I uninstalled all the virusscanners and firewalls (and turned off the firewalls that come with windows)
And unistalled and reinstalled postgres.

The problem remains the same, when I try to start hm i get the 127.1.0 error and when I try to start postgres I get this message: Can't start postgresSQL Database Sever 8.3-servie on Local computer.

error 1053: service didnt correctly correspond to starting task.

UAC is off btw so thats not the problem here.

Maybe try the PostgreSQL forums as the people over there are more experienced with complex issues like this, tell them everything youve tried so far as i cant think of any further suggestions

Pieter86
10-30-2008, 02:12 PM
hmmz ok, which postgres forum should I ask my question? I found several forums and also the official postgres site has mailing lists where you can ask questions. Before I bother those guys (I know absolutely nothing about postgres) I'd like to at least make sure I'm posting at the right place.

It seems I am not the only one with this problem though so it might be worth for the holdem manager people taking a look into it since there is a good possibillity other users are going to face the same issue. I'm not meaning to be rude but we did pay for holdem manager so in my opinion support shouldn't stop with basic suggestions.

fleabit
10-30-2008, 02:23 PM
Also make sure the update didnt restart UAC and disable it if it did http://208.109.95.123/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=73

I think that was the problem, My manager is working fine now:D[/QUOTE]

Well, hmmmm. My manager worked last night after adjusting the user settings, but it seems Im confronted with the same problem tonight, that pietr is experiencing. I dont know what to do, I spent 3hours yesterday to get the program working. Im running on vista, have reinstalled postgres, as well as disable firwall settings etc. Any help would be much appreciated

morny
10-31-2008, 12:07 AM
Ok i wrote a detailed FAQ of everything i do when faced with this problem, it works most of the time but its a real pain and it seems the Vista updates are responsible for most of these issues lately http://208.109.95.123/faq/?f=171

Pieter86
10-31-2008, 02:56 PM
If I click the FAQ link it leads me to some thing called Absolute FAQ manager and it asks me for a username and a password, which I unfortunately don't have.

morny
10-31-2008, 03:18 PM
Sorry ive ammended the link now it should work

concussed
10-31-2008, 09:00 PM
[sigh]
Nope - still doesn't work. Can you PM me an email address please? - I can then send you a Word Doc showing screenshots of my problem.
Cheers

morny
11-01-2008, 12:08 AM
my email is morny@holdemmanager.net however if you followed that FAQ exactly as i wrote it then i dont know an alternative solutions if that dosent work so it might be better to try the PostgreSQL forums however your welcome to send me some screenshots and ill see if it theres anything i spot

Also Roy says this has been successful him before:

For the 127.0.0.1 issue I’ve been finding that rebooting and then restarting the service fixes it just about every time but it could just be that I’m getting the easy ones. Here are the full steps I send people and it seems to usually do the trick.

1) Open up control panel

2) Double click on Administrative Tools

3) Double click on Services

4) Find the postgresql service in the list then right click and press “Start”

If it gives an error then check event viewer also in Administrative Tools and find Application and look for a postgres error. If the details mention a bogus postmaster.pid then delete the C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.x\data\postmaster.pid file and try the instructions again.

Pieter86
11-01-2008, 01:17 PM
Thanks,

Faq is working now and there is some stuff in there I haven't done yet so hopefully I can get it working now.

Edit: I think I found something, I already had the holdem manager files running as administrator, but I thought I will run the postgre files as administrator too (just incase)
However it is not possible for me to tick or untick the run as administrator option anymore. (not only with the postgre files but I also can't untick the option for the holdemmanager files)

Any idea what might cause this and how I get able again to run programs as administrator again?

Edit 2: On vista forum I found that is normal that the " run as administrator " box is grayed out if you don't have user account control enables so I gues that's not the problem.

I found another problem doing the steps in the FAQ though, at the last step I have to go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services > Right click on PostgreSQL database Sever and choose properties, and then switch from This account to Local System account.
FAQ tells me to make sure I know my password before changing this, I have absolutely no idea what my password is, does anybody know how I can get my password?
Is it possible that it is a common password? Mine is the same amount of characters as the one in the screen shot in FAQ so maybe it is a standard pass??

Edit 3: I got it working! Eventually deleting the postmaster.pid file and restarting postgres did the job for me. Took a " bit " of time but its working now :) Now I have to figure out how Im gonna play 10k extra hands this month :P which i missed last week

Thanks for the support and gl to the others with this problem.

concussed
11-01-2008, 05:02 PM
Sorry - I give up - I had 4 days of no problems, but whatever happened last weekend has completely done me.
I was reinstalling and now it won't accept my password / user name.
Thanks for trying Morny anyway.

morny
11-02-2008, 10:35 AM
With the latest beta http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloads/HmUpdate1.06.04beta.exe if you enter an incorrect password it will ask do you want to make it accept any password, choose yes for this and try again